Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

From a local (Oakville, Ontario, Canada) Kijiji listing:

$_59.JPG

If I squint, I think I see "O12180". Appears to have pretty significant wear to the bed:

$_59.JPG

Listing is currently at:

Atlas 618 Lathe, metal

Craig

I take it that the ad didn't give the serial number. The first character is a zero, not an oh. The fifth one is probably an 8. But the third one to me looks more like a 9. Too bad that he didn't list the serial number in the text.

I take it that the ad didn't give the serial number. The first character is a zero, not an oh. The fifth one is probably an 8. But the third one to me looks more like a 9. Too bad that he didn't list the serial number in the text.
The third digit is hard to read. I've asked the seller to check but who knows if they'll follow up. The following is my best (feeble) attempt to enhance:

serial number plate enhanced.jpg

Craig

He probably won't but if he does, please report it.

He probably won't but if he does, please report it.
Surprising both of us, he was quick to respond. Seller says:
its old but its has roller tapered roller bearings and not bushings like the early ones. serial number is 013180

I know you can't tell exactly, but what range of years does that put this one in?

Craig

Well, it is Atlas 618 week here in on Ontario. Another listed on Kijiji. Seller says serial number is 019235 but photo is tough to decipher. Pics:

serial number plate.jpg

front.jpg

Currently listed at $500 Canadian. Appears to have a user-built milling attachment and a new 3 jaw chuck.

Craig

Surprising both of us, he was quick to respond. Seller says:

>>its old but its has roller tapered roller bearings and not bushings like the early ones. serial number is 013180

I know you can't tell exactly, but what range of years does that put this one in?

Craig

We don't have what I would call a single accurate 618 date. But assuming 28,000 made between 1937 and 1972 and constant production rate would put it in mid 1954.

The seller has obviously read the Internet Disinformation about the early 618's having sleeve bearings. They did not. That was the Craftsman 101.07301 which first appeared two years later in 1939. When the 618 first appeared the Summer of 1937, it had the same Timken bearings that the last one did. There were remarkably few changes ever made to the 618 and fewer to the -07301.

Another 618 for the serial number db:

serial.jpg

front.jpg

Apparently in pretty nice condition but the seller is dreaming asking for CDN $1,400--without a motor or bench to mount it on!

Craig

I agree. If it were a 10", it probably still wouldn't bring that much. There is very little visible bed wear and it is cleaner than most are. Looks to have everything tha it came with from the factory plus a few minor additions.

Minor correction - it appears to be missing the large countershaft pulley and the motor mounting bracket.

Last edited:
Back