Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

I would suggest that you get and install two of the felt oil cup plugs. Clausing still carries them unless you already have the proper arch punch size and some suitable felt.

Clausing says they no longer carry them. I could not find any dimensions in the MOLO for the felts. Did I miss it?

Did you ask for 557-047 or 557-097? Early Commercial parts lists show -047 and later ones show -097 and it's possible that they may have forgotten that.

The MOLO doesn't have any parts drawings. And as Clausing had always had them, I never bothered to make a drawing. I'll try to remember to call them tomorrow (or Tuesday if they are closed tomorrow) and if they do no longer have them, ask for the drawing.

Another option would be to contact the eBay seller who for the past several years has had the felt way oilers and rubber way wipers and ask them to start supplying them.

I realize that they would be an easy part to make but besides having to buy an arch punch set, the felt sheets from a hobby store will make a bzillion of them but by the time that you need to make two more, you will probably have lost the sheet.

I just spoke with someone at Clausing. Under the original part number (557-047) they have over 1900 in stock @ $1.00 each. And under the erroneous part number (557-097) they show nothing. So either whomever I ordered some from back when knew about the error or there was at one time a cross reference or note in their inventory database that someone has since deleted. The person to whom I spoke today didn't know about the error in all of the 1975 vintage parts lists. The same felt plug is also used in the arm of the cross-feed engagement lever assembly. And there, the correct part number is shown. As it is in both places in at least all of the earlier parts lists for the 12" 1/2" bed machines that I checked.

So I would call them again and ask for the 557-047 part number. But a word of warning - Clausing uses UPS for all of their shipping. And UPS shipping rates are only in one pound increments. So unless you want to pay more for the shipping than the parts cost, you should order something else at the same time.

Well, thank you for the detective work! Not sure what else I would order from them, other than the way wiper felts kit. Anything else considered consumable? Replaced the drive belt recently, and the only non-stock part I could find, the motor drive pulley, I am making from scratch. The hardened pins that hold the compound rest and milling attachment in place are worn. MOLO calls that 10-309. Is that a part number Clausing will recognize?

If you order new felt way oilers, you should also order the rubber way wipers. My 3996 is currently the newest one known (made the Summer of 1980) and I should probably have replaced them 10 years earlier.

Yes, 10-309 is the part number for the compound and milling attachment's beveled lock pins. Clausing probably has them. However, if the only visible wear is that the beveled surface has a shallow shape of the inverted cone that they lock against worn into it, they probably don't need replacement. But if the diameter of the rod is noticeably worn, then they do.

Where in any MOLO does it show any part numbers? MOLO is short for Manual Of Lathe Operation and Machinists Tables.

I'll definitely get the wipers. I wonder if I can pick the parts up to avoid shipping. I work in Kalamazoo after all.

I was speaking imprecisely about the MOLO. I bought a MOLO from a guy in England who included several other docs in the binding including a parts list.

Well, aren't you the lucky one. But I would at least this first time call the order in. I have no idea whether or how they are organized for local drop-in customers.

OK on the MOLO subject.

One other general background point that I'll make is that sometime in the 1970's, Clausing changed all gibs except for the carriage and tailstock ones from steel to plastic. Unfortunately, plastic is much more compressible than steel. But if you today order what appears to be the steel part number, you will get a plastic one instead. So if you decide that you need to replace a compound, cross slide or milling attachment gib, don't order one from Clausing. Send me a PM instead.

wa5cab, Are you still collecting Atlas 10 information? We were gifted a real old 10D but right now it is in pieces. Never took pictures of the complete unit as thought we were just getting the various parts less the headstock, bed & tailstock. The bed is 54" long, Babbitt bearings, think the number stamped on the bed is D7605, but the letter & numbers are quite faded. We believe it is from around 1937 from looking at the Atlas catalogues. The friend who passed it to us said his dad used it during the war at the Jericho military depot in Vancouver, B.C. Canada. His father bought it in 1947 when they closed the fabricating facility down. It has sat for years in an unheated barn but is coming apart quite easily. The lead screw is 5/8", no power cross feed, horizontal motor mount but missing the motor mount plate. It came with homemade steady rest and milling attachment and a bunch of milling cutters. It came with the old tool post, holders & cutting tools, 4 chucks including 1 small Craftsman 4 jaw chuck and a bunch of other stuff. While the machine is apart are there other pictures you would like to see.

Frank
headstock top 10D-247.JPGheadstock bottom 10D-2.JPG bed c:w feet.JPGAtlas tag.JPG

Back