Atlas/Craftsman Serial Numbers and Bearing Dates (if applicable) For Database Entries

Atlas 10x36 lathe
Model Number: QC54
Serial Number: 005002
Horizontal Countershaft

No idea on purchase/manufacture date. Purchases from the late gentleman’s son. PO had it since around 1990 so he was not original owner.
No access to bearing dates, nor do I want to be in a situation where I need to - although I’m dying to know those dates.
I believe it’s a 10F from reading posts here, but I’ve read A LOT of posts here & elsewhere, and it all runs together in my head after a while.

Bed casting 954
Apron casting 10F-9A
Original Atlas 1/2 HP motor

I’d love to know anything you can tell me about it. I’m sure I’d need to be more specific :) but an rough manufacture date would be a great start.

My first machine. Just purchased a month ago. In pretty good shape, but I’m giving it a medium-thoroughness disassembly & cleaning as it was packed & caked with grease and dirt. Came with 3-jaw, 4-jaw, both with original Craftsman boxes. Atlas micrometer carriage stop and cross slide stop, both with original Atlas boxes. Milling attachment. Steady/follow rests. Pics below. I am working left to right in my cleanup. I've remounted the QCGB and cleaned the bed & ways as far as the saddle.

I am about to make another post for help. I’m a slow, thorough, OCD type - and still yet I’ve gone and broken the split nut scroll last night. Need some help & information. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I can’t tell you how many threads I’ve read on here already, just in disassembling and cleaning thus far. You guys are a real gem with your knowledge, your emphasis on archiving that knowledge, and your willingness to help us out. Thank you very much!

IMG_9934_small.jpg

IMG_3355.JPG

Randy,

First, all QC models have or at least originally came with Horizontal Countershafts and Timken tapered roller bearings. The QC model, which BTW is a 10F, first came out in late 1947. Atlas had ceased production of the vertical countershaft and all babbit bearing models in late 1945. So there was no need to include either an "H" or a "V" in the model number.

Atlas's SOP since the introduction of the first 10" in 1935 had been that all models of the 10" shared a common Serial Number pool (Sears, on the other hand, did not - every new model started off at S/N 1). When they first introduced the QC models QC42 and QC54 they broke their rule and started them off at S/N 1 or maybe 000001. At some serial number after yours, they reverted to their SOP and the next QC serial number higher than yours that we have is 082925. From the few bearing dates that we have for QC models, that was probably in 1949 or 1950. And a guesstimate of when your machine was made would be about first quarter 1949.

That’s great info, Robert. Thank you. I hereby promise if I ever have to pull the spindle (and I survive), I’ll bring you the bearing dates.

Atlas 10 Lathe QC54.
Serial # 088298
I have not replaced the bearings, so I do not have any dates for you there.
IMG_3988.jpgIMG_3989.jpgIMG_3990.jpgIMG_3991.jpgIMG_3992.jpg

Mine also came with this brochure.

IMG_3993.jpgIMG_3994.jpg

My guess is early 70's.

Fred

Nice looking QC. But your guess on when it was made is off by about 20 years. All 10" production ceased in 1957. Atlas or Timken ceased engraving the inspection date on the 10" and 12" spindle bearings sometime after 1952/12/20 which was reported on a 101.27430. The highest reported bearing date on a QC is 1950/12/20 on either 084882 or 087834 (obvious transcription error in Database). And the highest serial number reported with a date is 088491 with 1950/11/21 on both bearings. We do know that Atlas didn't practice FIFO (First In First Out) so that is probably correct. And not the only case of a higher serial number with an earlier date.

The MOLO that you have is a 1970 V9. The QC catalog was published in late 1947 when the QC42 and QC54 were introduced. The MOLO edition and version closest to your machine would be a 1954 V6. Or a 1955 V6.

Nice looking QC. But your guess on when it was made is off by about 20 years. All 10" production ceased in 1957. Atlas or Timken ceased engraving the inspection date on the 10" and 12" spindle bearings sometime after 1952/12/20 which was reported on a 101.27430. The highest reported bearing date on a QC is 1950/12/20 on either 084882 or 087834 (obvious transcription error in Database). And the highest serial number reported with a date is 088491 with 1950/11/21 on both bearings. We do know that Atlas didn't practice FIFO (First In First Out) so that is probably correct. And not the only case of a higher serial number with an earlier date.

The MOLO that you have is a 1970 V9. The QC catalog was published in late 1947 when the QC42 and QC54 were introduced. The MOLO edition and version closest to your machine would be a 1954 V6. Or a 1955 V6.

Well, that is much older than I thought it was, thank-you for that information!

OK. If you ever do have reason to pull either bearing, please report either date(s) or lack of date(s).

We have asked Clausing but somewhere in their several moves, all Atlas production history was lost or destroyed.

OK. If you ever do have reason to pull either bearing, please report either date(s) or lack of date(s).

We have asked Clausing but somewhere in their several moves, all Atlas production history was lost or destroyed.

I certainly will. I am sad that I didnt know about this before I replaced the bearings on both of my Mills.

Back