Atlas Lathe 101424-3986

Jedmundson

Registered
Registered
Would anyone happen to have a photo of the Headstock lower gear train (backgrear) assembly in place? I am reassembling the lathe and I am trying to make sure that I have it correctly installed. Thanks

This is a common Atlas head stock. I don’t know if it is the same as yours ,but most are. There should also be a parts brake down in the down load section which would be helpful. If you have any problems the are members here with the same type of lathe that will help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 18
3986 Isn't that the newer style 12" lathe? The one with the backgear below the spindle?

That is correct. Mine is below the main shaft. Thank you Nutfarmer for the picture. 17511D7E-D0D7-45CC-82D1-6EB8ABBBED01_1_105_c.jpeg

This is the only picture that I took before disassembly.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me please does the piece on the right hand side get rotated 180° so that it is in the same access as the large piece on the left side? That would be the opposite of how I haven’t shown in the picture thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_5374.jpeg
    IMG_5374.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 7
I got that bottom stuff all back together again thanks for the help. Is this the pin and spring that holds the detent in its hole. I must be getting old because I have no idea how I ever got the thing apart. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3611.jpeg
    IMG_3611.jpeg
    621 KB · Views: 5
Sorry I missed your post- yes the shaft eccentrics lay in the same plane (Looks like you figured that out already)
Not sure about the pin and spring but it shouldn't be too difficult to put back together if you have 3 hands :)

Thanks, yes I got the back-gears installed. Now I am working on trying to find a woodruff key for the bull gear. McMaster Carr has two that look like they may fit. Part # 90049A101 has feet and might work without hitting the pulleys. I will print on out to see if the fit is good before I order one.

Attachments

• IMG_5395.jpeg
    IMG_5395.jpeg
    590.5 KB · Views: 3
Since everyone is being so helpful, I would like to ask another question please. When I got this lathe on eBay, it did not have a motor with it. What would be the recommendation for a new 120 V motor to use with this atlas 12 inch lathe. Thank you.

Back