Atlas Lathe 101424-3986

If I bought any lathe without a motor I’d go with 3 phase or DC for variable speed. Small 3 phase motors and VFD’s are pretty cheap used.

John

I would guess 1725 RPMs as what was originally on it. Thanks for the help nut farmer. How about this question the little cam axle that is on the counter shaft which direction does the slot go in relationship to the small cam? this is how it was when I received delayed but according to the picture of the assembly it looks like it’s supposed to be the other way rotate at 180° I did receive this lathe in various stages of pre-disassembly and I’ve never seen the entire thing put together an operating, so I’m trying to going by the pictures I’ve got in the old manual and what I can find on the Internet. I’ve been working on reassembling the countershaft while I’m waiting for my new woodruff key to show up. The third picture is what it looked like when I got it I just cannot seem to make the lever work correctly with the counter balance, and the position that the slot on the cam is currently. When I pull the handle towards me, should I lift the counter balance or lower the counter balance? Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• IMG_5469.jpeg
    IMG_5469.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5471.jpeg
    IMG_5471.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 1
  • version=1&uuid=FDB4C258-C2E8-4A64-AE2B-E69E2A4D58DD&mode=compatible&noloc=1.jpeg
    version=1&uuid=FDB4C258-C2E8-4A64-AE2B-E69E2A4D58DD&mode=compatible&noloc=1.jpeg
    461 KB · Views: 1
Thank you Mathew. I just put a 2 hp three phase 240 V motor with the VFD on my knife grinder and it works great but it seems like way too much horsepower for this lathe. I do like the idea of being able to use a VFD and control the speed of the motor. The Jeremy Schmidt Texas edition.

Attachments

• version=1&uuid=948BFE02-7502-44D3-B032-7111175DB3DC&mode=compatible&noloc=1.jpeg
    version=1&uuid=948BFE02-7502-44D3-B032-7111175DB3DC&mode=compatible&noloc=1.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 3
While I was sitting here typing with you guys asking questions that McMaster-Carr woodruff key showed up, and it fits perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_5473.jpeg
    IMG_5473.jpeg
    492.2 KB · Views: 0
I guess I spoke too soon. The ears on the woodruff key were great, but they do not allow you to insert the key into the headstock because of the tight clearances. So out with the file off with the ears, and it all went together.

Thank you Mathew. I just put a 2 hp three phase 240 V motor with the VFD on my knife grinder and it works great but it seems like way too much horsepower for this lathe. I do like the idea of being able to use a VFD and control the speed of the motor. The Jeremy Schmidt Texas edition.
Nice, I have a 12 x 72 grinder ready to go together. You should be able to pick up a fractional hp 3phase motor cheap.

John

Is this piece supposed to wiggle this much? It comes out of the change gearbox and is where the lead screw will attach on the outside.

Attachments

• IMG_5500.mov
    12.1 MB
Nice, I have a 12 x 72 grinder ready to go together. You should be able to pick up a fractional hp 3phase motor cheap.

John
I’m not happy with the adjustable tracking arm, the one on top, but the thing does work and it eats through metal. I need to get this lathe finished so I can open up my workbench again.

Back