Atlas metal lathe

I agree about the belts, but hair is not a problem for me, I have been bald for about 30 years. Yes, my grandfather bought it used in Dec. 1937 for $125. Do you think a person would still be able to get parts...Probably not and thank you for the reply.

There is a member here (wa5cab) who is very knowledgeable about Atlas lathes, I'm sure he will be along eventually. Parts availability is going to depend on how much is unique to that model but it is probably better than you might expect. Clausing still offers some factory support for the old machines and there is a fairly strong aftermarket for Atlas as well.

You can get a bit of the history of your lathe here.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/index.html

There is a member here (wa5cab) who is very knowledgeable about Atlas lathes, I'm sure he will be along eventually. Parts availability is going to depend on how much is unique to that model but it is probably better than you might expect. Clausing still offers some factory support for the old machines and there is a fairly strong aftermarket for Atlas as well.

You can get a bit of the history of your lathe here.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/index.html
Thank you very much!

Boomer,

This "is" the dedicated Atlas forum.

If your grandfather bought it used in 1937. it wasn't very used as the first 9" was made around 1932. We don't know s lot about the 9" as only a few have been reported here. But I would suggest that you clear all of the junk away from it and stand something like a sheet of plywood up behind it so that we only see the lathe and re-shoot the photo, with some close-ups, too..

On the question of run-out, I would first suggest that you confirm that the chuck jaws are all in their correct slots and that the three jaws all belong to that chuck. You cannot swap jaws to another chuck. Near each jaw slot on the OD of the chuck body there should be stamped a single number, 1, 2 or 3. On the side of each jaw will be stamped 1, 2 or 3. Confirm that the digit on each jaw matches the slot number. There should also be two sets of three jaws each for that one chuck. One set will have the tallest jaw nearest to the spindle. Those are sometimes called the ID jaws or inside jaws. The other set are just the opposite. And you cannot reverse the jaws on a 3-jaw.

In Downloads, you will find one Craftsman and no Atlas parts lists. However, about the only differences between the two different badges are the legs under the bed. For some reason, Sears seemed to have a "thing" about legs.

I will also mention that full access to Downloads requires Donor status (any level).

On a serial number, I think that Atlas followed the same procedure for the 9" that they did for the 10" and early 12". So you should find the serial number stamped into the top of the right end of the front way, in the narrow strip between where the carriage ran and where the tailstock runs. Atlas made about 5000 of the 9" Atlas lathes. Whether they had a different pool of numbers for Sears and for Atlas, we don't really know, but they probably did. Does the lathe have any badges on it?

Boomer,

This "is" the dedicated Atlas forum.

If your grandfather bought it used in 1937. it wasn't very used as the first 9" was made around 1932. We don't know s lot about the 9" as only a few have been reported here. But I would suggest that you clear all of the junk away from it and stand something like a sheet of plywood up behind it so that we only see the lathe and re-shoot the photo, with some close-ups, too..

On the question of run-out, I would first suggest that you confirm that the chuck jaws are all in their correct slots and that the three jaws all belong to that chuck. You cannot swap jaws to another chuck. Near each jaw slot on the OD of the chuck body there should be stamped a single number, 1, 2 or 3. On the side of each jaw will be stamped 1, 2 or 3. Confirm that the digit on each jaw matches the slot number. There should also be two sets of three jaws each for that one chuck. One set will have the tallest jaw nearest to the spindle. Those are sometimes called the ID jaws or inside jaws. The other set are just the opposite. And you cannot reverse the jaws on a 3-jaw.

In Downloads, you will find one Craftsman and no Atlas parts lists. However, about the only differences between the two different badges are the legs under the bed. For some reason, Sears seemed to have a "thing" about legs.

I will also mention that full access to Downloads requires Donor status (any level).

On a serial number, I think that Atlas followed the same procedure for the 9" that they did for the 10" and early 12". So you should find the serial number stamped into the top of the right end of the front way, in the narrow strip between where the carriage ran and where the tailstock runs. Atlas made about 5000 of the 9" Atlas lathes. Whether they had a different pool of numbers for Sears and for Atlas, we don't really know, but they probably did. Does the lathe have any badges on it?
Thank you very much for your information, once I get to moving this morning, I will check it out. Thanks again!

Vintage awesomeness !
1648951820318.png
Boomer , your grandfathers appears to be one of the first 9 inches . The drawing above is from the Atlas patent application . However yours does have the compound slide . That's a good thing .

This picture is the production model , note the splayed feet .
1648952178112.png

Is the other set of jaws otherwise exactly the same as the set currently installed? If so, then yes. But it isn't as simple a matter as just changing all three jaws to the other set. As unless there is actually an obvious difference between the two sets so that it is obvious which three and three go together, there are about 12 different combinations to try.

It seems as though there was yet a third version of legs but that could be a false memory. Your lathe also has the second version of change gear cover and also the first version of the front mounted motor switch. I think that the first motor switch was inconveniently mounted on or in the line cord dropped loose behind the lathe.

Back