Atlas MF motor belt

The Alas mills all have two belts that some of the replies apparently confused. The two belts are the motor to countershaft belt, commonly called the motor belt, and the countershaft to spindle belt, commonly called the spindle belt. All 12 mill models used a 3/8" wide motor belt. The three base models had 4-step cone pulleys and used a 3/8" wide belt. The three A-models had 3-step cone pulleys and a 3/8" wide spindle belt. The three B-models and the three C-models had two-step cone pulleys and used a 1/2" wide spindle belt. There is no need for a 1/2" motor belt. My 3996 12" lathe has a 3/4 HP motor and a 3/8" motor belt. It was bought new in 1981. I changed the motor belt about 5 years ago, more because I had the replacement belt on the shelf than for any other reason.
Thanks for this information and clearing this up. I feel much better now knowing this about the 3/8” motor belt. Knowing this, I’m wondering if I measured correctly. Is the 3/8” motor belt 31”? Thanks wa5cab

And yes. I was confused about which belt you were asking about. I was speaking about the spindle belt. Sorry.

Intrepid,

I am sorry but the motor belt part numbers for the base and A-rev of the Atlas mill are about the only Atlas motor belt lengths that I do not have. About all that I can suggest is to look up the Atlas belt part number and then call Clausing and order one. I believe that parts lists for all of the various Atlas machines (except drill presses) are available in Downloads. If you come up with it with that method, report it here and I will add it to Downloads.

I will also mention here that it is my understanding that Clausing sold out of the 3-groove and 4-groove Mill spindle and countershaft pulleys many years ago. So if you find yourself needing either or both, your only options are going to be either locating either or both on the used market or converting to the 2-groove pulley configuration.

Late to the party as usual but: I have an MF 4 sheave machine. Belt from motor to jack shaft is 3L320, jack shaft to spindle is M-28. I had to try a few to find this combination that works on my machine. Motor mount bracket and jack shaft casting are originals so those sized 3/8" belts should work for you as well.

I bought a brand new spindle pulley/gear assembly off eBay last year so they do pop up. I wanted spare for it and the power feed bevel gears just in case :)

Gerrit

I bought a brand new spindle pulley/gear assembly off eBay last year so they do pop up. I wanted spare for it and the power feed bevel gears just in case :)

Gerrit
Would you be willing / able to make a drawing of that spindle? I haven't been as lucky in finding a replacement as you have. :cool:

I'm willing and able, just not sure as to when however :) The main challenge with making a replacement is that the smallish gear is cast as part of the whole thing. Later ones (as in 3 and 2 step) had it as a separate item.

wa5cab, is a M6-79 compatible with a MI-79? 4 step pulley.

This post is mainly in answer to the question in Post # 18 above.

Probably not. While there does not seem to be any way to know whether one part could be made from another if they both had the same suffix number, whether the two would be interchangeable or not is a definite NO. The prefix (in this case M6 and M1) indicates the model of machine that the part was originally designed for. M6 means that the part was originally designed to be used on the Atlas 618 and probably 612 (since both machines are 6" lathes. Let me inject the comment here that no one still alive seems to know why they chose to use M6 instead of just 6 as they had done on the 9" and 10". Anyway, the suffix number indicates the function of the part. in this case the spindle cone pulley. Why they did not use the same spindle as the 618 uses no one seems to know. The countershaft 4-step pulleys are the same and both have the earlier part number, M6-80. But not the spindle one. And although we have the 3 step and 2-step pulley and gear drawings, we do not have the 4-step drawing or the Mill spindle drawing or drawings. I will try to call Clausing next week and check on the the situation.

Last edited:
Back