Atlas MFC vs Sieg X2 (or similar)

afaris

Registered
Registered
Hello. I'm still learning how to machine and have ~18 months with a 7x14 (G0765) lathe. I've been watching Craigslist & Facebook market place for a used mill and have seen two Altas MFC mills appear in the last 6 months. They seem like neat machines and both were advertised at $2,000. While I do understand there's value in the parts that come with the mill like cutters, I'm trying to understand the asking price.

Table size on both the X2 & MFC are ~4.5" x 18"
X travel for the X2 is ~11" and the MFC is ~9"
Y travel for the X2 is ~5" and the MFC is ~3 3/8"
Z travel for the X2 is ~10" and the MFC is 6"
Motor, the X2 is 500 watts & the MFC is 1/3 HP or 250 watts.

What I'm trying to understand is how the Atlas MFC compares to a Sieg X2. I can purchase a Little Machine Shop 3990 for ~$1700 with shipping & taxes. To me $2000 for a MFC seems high for a used machine. I'm guessing there's some room to haggle, but when comparing the specs above, it seems you get more capacity with the LMS 3990.

In this machine size, is having a horizontal mill better then the vertical mil due to stiffness or some other feature? I know the Z travel on the X2 gets used by work holding/vises & cutters so useful travel is likely similar to the MFC. When comparing the MFC to the LMS 3990, which is the more capable machine?

I should add that for the projects I've done, I recognize the 7x14 lathe is small and has flex but I've been fine with its capacity. My interest in getting a mill is to machine square things square, but to be honest I'm still considering a milling attachment for the lathe.

Thanks for the feedback.

Vertical mills are more versatile. Comparing the two is a little like comparing a late model Kia with a 50’s pickup truck.

People are very proud of their vintage Atlas machines but $2000 will get a used Bridgeport or clone in many places.

If you’re space constrained look into a used RF30, I bought mine for $850.

John

Matthewsx is right on with his recommendations. A small horizontal mill is very limited in use. Money is better used on a vertical mill. I found a good knee mill for 2000 a couple of years ago. You will be very disappointed in a small horizontal mill as your only mill.

A vertical mill is more versatile since often they have a quill and can act as a precision drill press. A horizontal mill cannot.
Some older horizontal mills can be/have been converted to vertical ones- something to watch for when shopping- then you have the best of both

Last edited:
Since I have Deckel mills, that have both vertical and horizontal spindles, I can give some insight. Most pretty much all work is done using the vertical spindle, only the horizontal spindle is used when work can't be machined any other way because the setup difficulties or work holding / machine constraints. Here is an example of using the horizontal spindle for milling when I couldn't use the vertical.
DSC00002.JPG
Or boring or drilling a hole using the horizontal spindle (note this machine also has a quill on the horizontal spindle, most don't). You just have to think what is the easiest way to preform the job.
DSC00027.JPG
If I had to take only one type of milling machine then, go with the vertical for sure or have the best of both worlds get a Deckel type of machine.

To add, you might want to keep an eye out for a EMCO FB-2, it is mostly a vertical mill but can be used as a horizontal when needed.

Yow !! 2 Deckels . Might want to change your name to deeppocketsguido , haha just kidding . I'm sorry . That's a pretty awesome shop you have Guido .
Milling attachments are cool , I have one for my 6 inch Craftsman lathe . To make things a little easier I mounted a vise on it . https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/milling-attachment-for-a-6.94818/
I don't suggest a any kind of horizontal . Although a milling attachment would be turning your lathe into a horizontal . They are very hard to find , check out a Bench-Master . Bench-Master not a Duro . http://www.lathes.co.uk/duro/
Mark .

Thanks for the Deckels & Emco FB-2 mentions. Neither were on my radar. I saw the benchmaster before and its an interesting design. There’s one with a damaged t-slot on Craigslist for $1600. But this puts it into new machine territory and it would have less travel then the X2. This thread has been helpful in understanding that having a horizontal mill doesn’t mean surface finishes are better then finishes from a similar sized vertical mill.

Your original thoughts about Little Machine Shop , I would go with that . New is better and I imagine you get a warrantee .
A Bench-Master would be cool but on the other hand prices get inflated because a lot of people want one . Plus there is no back gear .

Back