Atlas MFC vs Sieg X2 (or similar)

Good advice here. Leave the MFC for the nostalgic folks (I am one). They sell for high $ and they are old machines. Any you find are likely to be worn and need attention, which means even more money after you buy it.

I lucked into my MFC before the Seig was on the narket. For far under $1K. . . I love ny MFC, but looked into the Seig anyway. I found the arbor was 19mm. There is no source for other sizes outside an "after market" or make it yourse;f.

Last edited:
A vertical mill is more versatile since often they have a quill and can act as a precision drill press. A horizontal mill cannot.
Some older horizontal mills can be/have been converted to vertical ones- something to watch for when shopping- then you have the best of both
That's strange, I do precision drilling and counterboring all the time on my Atlas MF. It has a X, Y and Z axis along with an MT2 taper spindle. Plus I don't have the tramming issues of smaller vertical mills.

I lucked into my MFC before the Seig was on the narket. For far under $1K. . . I love ny MFC, but looked into the Seig anyway. I found the spindke was 19mm. There is no source for other sizes outside an "after market" or make it yourse;f.
Since someone had responded, I decided not to update. The 19mm arbor, to me, indicates a much lighter machine. When parts were still available from Atlas (or Sears), it came standard with a 1 inch and 7/8 or 1-1/4 on request. The latter 2 being "standards" for US made involute cutters. That being an important point for me. I have some of both US made and offshore made.

Much of my research was done through Grizzly, matching them with both resellers and Seig itself. The Seig is a good design, but to me lacking in "stout".

With many comments yet to make, my right side is giving out. I asked for a cast yo make it rigid, but the bone is not broken, so the Dr won't take a chance. I wish it was broken, it wouldn't hurt so bad.

Back