Atlas power cross feed

tplankar

Registered
Registered
I have three pictures of the power cross feed gear driven by the lead screw. As you can see there is no way to retain the key in the keyway. It has to travel along with the gear in the keyway in the lead screw. How do I keep it from coming out of the keyway in the gear? There are no parts missing from either end of the gear as pictured in the the original (1948) Atlas manual. Friction fit? JB weld?

20140214_170649.jpg 20140214_170613.jpg 20140214_170509.jpg

can you post a picture of the parts break down ? its gotta be a interesting problem. did it work before the parts were removed? is this a new to you machine ? more details required. . .

Some one has attemped to repair that gear. It should of had a male key cast in.Thay do wear out and some people cut the keyway and pin or glue a key in. JB weld would be my choice. You will have to clean it up with a file after it set's up. Here is a pic the gear on the right is original the one on the left has been repaired

newgear2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. I will do a friction fit and machine it lightly to add a little JB.

Tom

Hi Tom, when I had that problem and waiting for a new gear to turn up, I made a T shaped key broached a keyway, drilled a hole and glued it in.

looks a bit messy but I didn't fancy it coming loose and spoiling my leadscrew...

04.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

Bernard

04.JPG 08.JPG 07.JPG

Thanks Bernard

I was looking for your post to show a better fix.

Thanks Bernard

I was looking for your post to show a better fix.

So was I ! It seems to have disappeared along with the pictures from my uploads folder, had to upload them again, very strange...:dunno:

Bernard

Bernard,

When did you make the post? And when and where did you upload the photos?

Robert D.

Hmm, mine has a key with slight protrusions on each end that basically hooks over both ends of the gear. I'll try to post pics when I go in tomorrow.

toolman,

Yes, that's another viable way to repair a gear with a sheared off key. Although I think that I would still smear a little JB Weld on it.

Robert D

Back