Atlas & Rockwell Base coat clear coat colors

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Looking for input on a base coat color. Restoring an Atlas 7B shaper and a Rockwell 6 x 48 belt sander and have decided to use a base coat clear system over rustoleum smoke gray. The problem I’m having is finding a good base coat match in gray. Wondering if anyone has been down this road and what they came up with. Thanks

I’d also like to know the proper atlas 10” gray color, if there is a standard..

I have read a couple of things that was kind of giving the nod to Rust-oleum snake gray. Which is a pretty good match. It’s a single stage enamel that I have had good luck with in the past. I have decided to do these two projects in Bas coat clear coat due to the gloss and durability of automotive paint but I’m at a loss looking at color samples of base coat it’s hard to tell

Are you Restoring the Atlas 10” ? Or just doing some touch up?

Base coat / clear coat is typically used for decorative items. Not machinery. And if you were to use it, you should apply it over a two part epoxy primer, not over Rustoleum. In fact, you have to be careful mixing paint systems, because the different layers may not get along, leading to failures.

Base coat / clear coat is typically used for decorative items. Not machinery. And if you were to use it, you should apply it over a two part epoxy primer, not over Rustoleum. In fact, you have to be careful mixing paint systems, because the different layers may not get along, leading to failures.
Yes sir, you are correct. I am. Rey familiar with base coat clear coat system. I actually spray for a body shop. This is why I would prefer to use it due to its durability. I was just hoping that some of the guys on here had done something similar or could give me some ideas for the color

Yes sir, you are correct. I am. Rey familiar with base coat clear coat system. I actually spray for a body shop. This is why I would prefer to use it due to its durability. I was just hoping that some of the guys on here had done something similar or could give me some ideas for the color

On several occasions, I've taken a part sample (motorcycle side cover, or car gas door) to a paint supply house, and they computer scanned the part color, then mixed up a batch of base coat to match. After the computer gets the color close, the mixing technician fine tunes the match by eye, adjusting as necessary. As a painter, I suspect you know this already, so please forgive me for this suggestion...

It’s all good and yes I have scanned it already and come up with a pretty close match. Was just looking to see what the guys in the forum was doing as far as matching the colors. Never hurts to have all the knowledge you can accumulate before diving in,lol

On several occasions, I've taken a part sample (motorcycle side cover, or car gas door) to a paint supply house, and they computer scanned the part color, then mixed up a batch of base coat to match. After the computer gets the color close, the mixing technician fine tunes the match by eye, adjusting as necessary. As a painter, I suspect you know this already, so please forgive me for this suggestion...
I also scanned and mixed the baby blue color for my ENCO 12 x 36. That one was a little tough because I had a hard time finding some decent paint to scan. When I did I came up with a color called ATLAS. Was I brute almost greenish looking base before I cleared it. Turned out to be damn near a perfect match though. I only did the base and the pan on it. Will do the rest when time allows

Attachments

• IMG_0955.jpeg
    IMG_0955.jpeg
    440.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0911.jpeg
    IMG_0911.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0910.jpeg
    IMG_0910.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0909.jpeg
    IMG_0909.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 6
Oops, got a picture of my shaper in there. That’s one of the projects I needed this gray for

Back