Atlas shaper in New Hampshire

I'm a bit surprised that ANY shaper would sell for that kind of money, let alone one that small. They've all but disappeared in commercial shops because they're so slow. About the only people looking for them are hobbyists and collectors. I currently see several of all different sizes listed on eBay. Asking prices are out of this world at between $950.00 and $12,500.00. Looking at those in the sold column the prices are a bit different. The larger ones have gone for around $2,500.00 and the smaller ones around $600.00. Still ridiculous prices as far as I'm concerned. I suppose if you're selling you'd be a fool to ask less. However as a buyer I think you can purchase better machines to do the same jobs for less money.

There was a time not that long ago when you couldn't give them away. I passed on a 16" G&E a few years ago and the asking price was only $250.00. I did pick up an AMMCO about 8 years ago for less than $200.00. It was sold as part of a lot from the closed Badger Army Ammunition Depot. The lot didn't even get a bid the first round so the auction company added an indexer and rotary table to the lot. A friend of mine then bought the lot because he needed the indexer. He knew I was looking for a small shaper so he sold it to me.

Here's my 1941 AMMCO 7" shaper just as it came from the ammunition depot, complete with an OD paint job and War Board tag.

DSCF8103A.jpg

The smaller ones are commanding more than the larger ones right now it seems. I sold my Atlas 7 for $1000.00 over a year ago. Used that money to buy my 16" G&E.

Back