Atlas TH42 10F-36 Screw Reassembly Problems

jakejoseph

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hello - thank you for the very nice and helpful forum.

I purchased an Atlas TH-42 lathe in fairly poor condition, and in order to learn more about the equipment in general I have disassembled the unit and have been slowly cleaning and oiling everything and putting it back together. After a successful reassembly of the apron, I am trying to reassemble the screw, 10F-36.

The problem seems to be that the threaded portion toward the dial seems to be too long - the nut 10D-262 engages way too much from all of the examples I can find on the internet, and all of the pictures that I've taken. I've looked at the parts diagram many times - I have all of the parts, and I have assembled them in the order shown in the parts manual, but the threads are sticking out way too much. Am I missing a spacer bushing? I am assuming that 10F-45 goes inside 10F-46 and that these should not act as spacers.

10F-33 appears to engage as intended.

I've attached a picture showing the issue.

Thanks for your guidance. I appreciate all of your wisdom.

Attachments

• 20230214_193427 (1).jpg
    20230214_193427 (1).jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 25
First check Downloads to see whether I ever downloaded the original drawing, cleaned it up and put it in Downloads. If I did not, call Clausing
@ 1-800-323-0972 and first ask whether or not they still stock it. If they do, and they might, ask one of the McNETT brothers to get the drawing and answer your questions. If they don't still stock it, they will usually send you a copy of the original drawing as a .TIF or a .PDF. Send me the .TIF and I will clean the file and put it into Downloads.

Thanks for the help. Since the handle was busted anyway, I ordered another assembly from ebay. The "new" assembly fit perfectly, and the part 10F-46 was about 3/8" longer than the one I removed. The 10F-46 that was installed originally had flats, and the 10F-36 from the ebay assembly had holes to remove it. I've attached a picture showing the difference.GOPR1491.JPG

Back