Atlas TH42 freshen up

I think most of the Atlas motor pulleys were 5/8" shaft except for some very early ones
100$ sounds steep to me- 40-60$ is more like it- even less if it needs repair or new bearings

Stumbled onto a broken piece. They had it held in by a regular bolt but they had left the broken off piece in the drawer. I’ll have to source a new one or maybe even print one and put a brass sleeve in it. Be nice to have a lathe to make that.

I was really hoping the paint would stay but after degreasing the countershaft assembly I’m not sure how well it’ll hold up. Once I got the years of grease off the assembly the paint started to come up with it. I hope it’ll stay on the body of the lathe, I like the used look. I just don’t like it filthy. Thankfully the grease isn’t nearly as bad on the lathe covers and base so I’ll cross my fingers.

Is the any advantage to having a stock one piece type of belt over the make your own size type? They are both ratty as heck and need to be replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_5343.jpeg
    IMG_5343.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5343.jpeg
    IMG_5343.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 5
Stumbled onto a broken piece. They had it held in by a regular bolt but they had left the broken off piece in the drawer. I’ll have to source a new one or maybe even print one and put a brass sleeve in it. Be nice to have a lathe to make that.

I was really hoping the paint would stay but after degreasing the countershaft assembly I’m not sure how well it’ll hold up. Once I got the years of grease off the assembly the paint started to come up with it. I hope it’ll stay on the body of the lathe, I like the used look. I just don’t like it filthy. Thankfully the grease isn’t nearly as bad on the lathe covers and base so I’ll cross my fingers.

Is the any advantage to having a stock one piece type of belt over the make your own size type? They are both ratty as heck and need to be replaced.
You can make the nut from delrin (I did for a ShenWai SW900B a few years ago)
or if you’re game, try 3D printing a nylon nut

Oh yea I didn’t even think of delrin. I could do that without the lathe. I’ve made some other parts out of it by hand before.

A new brass one is only $30. I might try the nylon print. I haven’t had much luck with nylon yet though.

After having the carriage off and the ways cleaned up a bit, they are unfortunately in rougher shape than I had realized. The outter edge of the posterior bed is damaged a fair bit. I all reality I should have walked away from this probably. But I went into it knowing I knew nothing and it’d be trial by fire. Other than being absolutely filthy the carriage is in really good condition and moves great. I got it mostly cleaned up and am going to reassemble it tomorrow hopefully, well minus the new feed screw nut. After that I just have to clean up the tailstock chucks and clean the schmoo out of the gears.

Attachments

• IMG_5352.jpeg
    IMG_5352.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 9
I have two TH42 lathes and I wouldn't worry about those damaged ways very much. Just stone them gently with a flat Norton stone (precision ground, if you have them). Then get some experience running the machine.

You have the Timken roller bearing headstock which is a good thing. Like you've seen with the brass cross-slide nut, plenty of parts are available online and many you can make yourself.

Matt

Yea I’m not super concerned with the ways really. Nothing I make is going to be that precise. Atleast not anytime soon.

At this point the broken tool post slide is my biggest hurdle. Well and not having a suitable motor yet. I have a few options I’m looking at with the parts I need. The slide is actually available from Calusing, but it’s over $200!

Biggest problem is the longer it sits waiting for parts the more I mess around with it and find more crap wrong. I have an issue with tinkering and idle hands I guess.

You can always part it out and make most of your money back- Atlas parts are at a premium right now it seems

You can always part it out and make most of your money back- Atlas parts are at a premium right now it seems
It’s a serious consideration. I’m scrolling marketplace palce daily. If I find something more complete and nicer I might just part it out. But am I then just opening a new can of worms with a different machine…

Back