Atlas vertical Bandsaw model 912

Bobbyc01

Registered
Registered
I bought an atlas model 912 ser# 023466 vertical Bandsaw at an auction. The Blade is rubbing the top cover indicating the current blade is too long. The existing blade is 84” long.
what is the correct length blade? It seems that 80” is a common size. 4” inches shorter on a circle is a lot. Any help is much appreciated and I hope I can return the favor to you one day.

Any lit on vintage machinery site?
If so, That should tell you.
I forget what length my 14” saw takes… sorry

Hmm…. The 912 manuals don’t seem to give blade length?!? They only give you the Atlas part # for a replacement blade…

This other Atlas 12” saw seems to call for an 83” blade though? It could definitely be spaced different though….
D899B4B7-4C2D-41E9-90FC-E1073DA0D347.jpeg

I’d say crank the wheel down as low/loose as you can to see what the minimum blade length is. Wrap a sturdy (non-stretching) string around the wheels and mark where they meet.
Then you can lay the string out and measure it.

You could also add your max length by cranking it to the top before it hits the guard case.

Then you can guess what length you need in between the two.

It does look like 80” might be the winner but measuring should tell you.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

I’d say crank the wheel down as low/loose as you can to see what the minimum blade length is. Wrap a sturdy (non-stretching) string around the wheels and mark where they meet.
Then you can lay the string out and measure it.

You could also add your max length by cranking it to the top before it hits the guard case.

Then you can guess what length you need in between the two.

It does look like 80” might be the winner but measuring should tell you.

Good luck and let us know what you find!
Thanks for that idea. I thought about cutting, and weld it back together at correct length. It’s been along time ago since I have done such. Where I used to work we bought the blade in a coil and you had to cut and weld them yourself.
“made you take care of the blade“

The document you posted shows a length of 83 inches....
Yes, but its not to a 912. Different model number but 12”. Could be totally different right? (Different distance between centers)

Edit: oh wait! That does say 912 on it!
It was listed on the VM site under a different model # so I thought it was different

Clausing Industrial (I think that is the current company name of what was once upon a time Atlas-Clausing) might still have some blades in stock but if not, they will have a .TIF of the original blade drawing which they can convert to .PDF if you can't handle a .TIF. That will give you the design blade length (and the width and tooth count that they originally supplied). 1-800-323-0972 or 1-800-535-6553. Of course, that will only apply to an Atlas or a Clausing badged machine. It would apply to a Sears badged one only sif the model number begins with 109.

Last edited:
Thanks all that contributed to my needs, I have determined that it’s a 83” blade, and it’s available through Fastenal.

Back