Atmos Bellows Work?

Glad you seem to have achieved success. I believe you invested the proper time and effort to make a best effort and it seems to have paid off. In reality, the whole process should be pretty basic, considering when it was done with the first units built. We have far more resources and materials at our disposal now than they had then.

We have a couple that need to be refilled but having difficult time finding ethyl chloride.

It seems it once was a common item for spot cooling skin for pain relief be to relatively warm boiling point it was safe until folks started sniffing it to get stoned.

It seems it is available via medical supply but need to be in that line.

Anyone here have access to that stuff

Comes in spray cans to canisters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I bought a couple of pressurized bottles from Amazon more than once just for refilling Atmos bellows. It is sold for sunburn pain relief there too, I believe.

Stuff on amazon is all off shore and they get stopped by post office and sent back to sender.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I don't know if this helps. I see that this thread is a little old now...

Ethyl Chloride is highly volatile (which is why, I presume, they put it into these atmospheric bellows). It's used in the developing world as an inhalational anaesthetic but it's not without its problems - it can cause funny heart rhythms and organ damage and is highly flammable. In the UK and the USA this is an obsolete application for it.

However, you may find a friendly anaesthetist (anaesthesiologist) who can get some for you. Over here in the UK we use it for testing loss of temperature sense. Briefly, it works like this: being volatile, when dropped on the skin, it evaporates radidly taking in latent heat of vaporization and so cooling down the skin. Now, the nerve fibres that carry temperature sensation are the same type as those that carry pain. If an anaesthetist wants to test his block, he drops ethyl chloride on to his patient's skin: if the patient says that it feels wet, but not cold, that's a fair indication that the nerve block is going to prevent pain.

You may also find it in A&E (ED) where it is used for cryoanalgesia - freezing the skin by applying a succession of drops, allowing each one to evaporate. This isn't much used these days.

If you have ever spilled liquid butane on your hand and watched it boil: that's pretty much how ethyl chloride behaves. Over here it comes in little glass bottles with a spring loaded metal cap over the dropper. I cannot imagine many airlines being happy if they found one in your luggage. It might be easier and safer to apply for a special use licence if that's what your local regulations require. Over on this side of the Atlantic, I think we can buy it without restriction.

Kind wishes,

Nick

By the way, I saw one of these atmospheric clocks about thirty years ago: a senior doctor was retiring and his colleagues bought it for him as a retirement gift. I was seriously impressed but rather put off by the cost: £750 - so Heaven only knows what they cost now.

Needless to say, the mechanism has to be as near friction-free as possible in order for the bellows to put enough energy in to the spring to keep it running perpetually. It is a really elegant idea and the one that I saw was a thing of beauty. Maybe when I retire....

Nick

Back