Audi replacing battery requires update / reset to computer

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
My son's Audi needs a new battery, and he's telling me he can't just replace it. He says the car needs an ECM reset to recognize the battery.
That's a WTF moment for me. Really, he needs to bring it in for service to replace the battery?

Take a small 12 volt battery and connect it to the car via the power socket. Disconnect the old battery and replace it with the new battery. As long as 12 volt power isn't interrupted, you should be able to swap them. At least that used to work in olden days. I used that trick when I didn't want to have my car relearn my driving habits. Maybe cars are smarter now though.

You could also use another vehicle and jumper cables.

Last edited:
On my diesel truck I replaced one battery at a time so it didn't lose any memory.

Some new cars have sensitive alternators that need to know what type and age of battery they are charging. It's part of the strategy to reduce fuel consumption, matches the new battery characteristics to the charging system of the car so you get the maximum life and optimum charge. Anyway, I don't believe it is entirely necessary to register the battery to the car, but it would be better long term to do so.

I didn't realize that's all it is. I can always remove my battery and no problem on my car, or my wifes 2017 Rav4. When he told me that it requires a service I was thinking something else.

I'm expecting soon I'll need to upgrade the firmware on my brand-new blender before I make my first margarita
Of course there will be two start buttons for safety, and a 14" power cord

Last edited:
I just used my mixer to make a cake for Easter. I hope that it does not report me!
Pierre

I was reported this week companies like GM with internet connected cars, were selling your personal driving data to insurance companies.

Same with our BMW X5…. I use Carly software to register the new battery when swapping… it is either that or taking it to the dealer….

We gave it to my wife’s cousin, along with the Carly, and , like me, he is doing all repairs himself.

Can’t do much without a computer to read proprietary codes and run checks, resets, configurations, etc.

The generic OBDII readers can only do the basic stuff…

Back