• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

AXA boring bars? Size?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I see that the AXA QCTP (such as Bostar) includes a large boring bar holder but they say maximum bar dia. is 7/16". What do you do if you want to use 1/2" bars?
Do you drill out the holder and make another sleeve? What are you guys doing?
thanks
Mark

mikey

Active User
Odd. I wonder if the 7/16" is a typo? The typical Aloris style boring bar holder has a 3/4" bore. Well, at least my Aloris 4D does. Not sure about the Chinese ones, though.

francist

Active User
LMS lists their AXA set as taking up to 3/4" diameter round bars using their #4 holder.

-frank

Capture AXA LMS.JPG

markba633csi

Must be a typo on the ebay listing- think I'll message the seller and ask

benmychree

John York
To answer the other question posed, likely the hole could not be enlarged; this stuff is usually case hardened.

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I use a 1 1/2" wedge tool block for round boring bars on a small lathe and have made several split sleeves to hold smaller diameter bars without issue, the wedge holders are very stout but can be a chore to change tools.

You will have little problem with buying the largest holder and sleeving it to suit.

Nogoingback

My Phase II boring bar holder accepts 3/4" bars as well. I think mikey is right: probably a typo.

[6]
[5] [7]