Axa Tool Holder Lever Question

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have an import AXA tool holder. If I screw the control lever stalk all the way in I cannot rotate the rotor - the threaded end of the stalk contacts the large stationary post inside. Is this the way it is supposed to work? Or do I need to shorten the threaded section of the handle stalk to eliminate the interference? I don't understand why the handle stalk would be designed to lock this way.

It's not designed to lock that way, it's just made sloppily... Just grind a little off the end, or Loctite it in with the shaft wound back a couple of turns from binding

Dave H. (the other one)

Thanks Dave. I wonder if there was a lock washer there at one time. Maybe I lost it.

Funny, I had the same problem yesterday with my "imported" QCTP...What I discovered was that I had inadvertently tightened the handle in a little to much thinking it was loose. Every time I tried to release the tool the entire holder would loosen or visa versa. Once I backed out the handle a little the problem was solved. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to bottom out the handle threads without binding up the entire holder. I might just center punch the threads to firm them up before they lock up the rest.

I don't remember having the problem the last time I used it. I suspect that there was a washer under the shoulder of the stalk and I lost it. At any rate, a skinny washer would fix the problem. Or, I could do as Dave says and grind a little off the threaded end of the stalk.

Before you start grinding just check to be sure you have not tightened the handle to tight....just say'n. I never had the problem before either till I decided to just tighten the handle a little then all the problems started. You may have an all together different issue. I was just relating what I discovered was the problem with mine.

Is it possible that the handle got turned around? Mine is threaded longer on one end than the other end. The ball screws onto the longer threaded end. If I assemble it the other way, I run into the same problem as you are describing.

It is an import - it is branded "Bostar" and I purchased it from CDCO, but I think the same item is sold under several labels and available form many suppliers. Other than the problem with the handle I am happy with it.

Have not had the red knob off, so I don't think it got turned around unless it came that way from the manufacturer. I will take the knob off and check - that is a good thought.

And yes, the problem started when I tightened the handle. I can eliminate the problem by loosening the handle 1/2 turn, but then the handle is wiggly.

Thanks guys!

It's a simple handle, grind the threads shorter and screw it back in and never remove it for the next several decades.

Back