Axle Alignment Question

Glad to see that you got it straightened out. Classic case of using what you have to make it work.

You might cut the axel and put two good sized angle irons pull them up tight with chain and bolts make sure your alinement is good and tack it. It is not a high speed rig you are building. That is how they cut down trailer axels in the good old days.

What David said but I use one heavy piece of angle iron as a V block, as long as you can fit between the wheels. Clamp the axle to the angle on each side of the joint. I have Vice grips that have chain which you can wrap around the angle and axle to clamp it into the V. Chamfer the ends and start welding. Once you have some weld built up in the bottom of the joint put the axle ends up on blocks so you and turn it and find the low spot, weld there to draw it straight. Just keep at it till you have enough weld and running straight.

Greg

What David said but I use one heavy piece of angle iron as a V block, as long as you can fit between the wheels. Clamp the axle to the angle on each side of the joint. I have Vice grips that have chain which you can wrap around the angle and axle to clamp it into the V. Chamfer the ends and start welding. Once you have some weld built up in the bottom of the joint put the axle ends up on blocks so you and turn it and find the low spot, weld there to draw it straight. Just keep at it till you have enough weld and running straight.

Greg
Ditto. But instead of worrying about the center of the axle being straight, you need to look at the wheels. Maybe even rig a setup to have the axles spin on the bearings. After you get it welded up good, then you can look at adding weight to give a good balance. I think the critical dimension, is the wheels being parallel.

another thing ,Use a piece of angle and run a line the length of the axel to keep it straight. because most axles have a crown to allow for when they are loaded to strsighten out.

the angle iron idea is keen. sorry got busy today to reply and thank everyone for assisting; so much appreciate. I think 7018 would be the weld to use; I'm thinking besides the angle iron and welding the split, to add a sleeve for extra security or would that be overkill?

get it as close as you can then weld it,trailer align isnt rocket science,after you put it together measure tow in 1/16 to 1/8,if you can borrow a camber gauge just twist the axle slightly for the right camber,most trailers ive seen arent that close when aligned,just measure and twist dave

Spoke to an old auto restorer who works at my local Lowe's in the tool section (he's old and the autos he restores are old).

He's spliced lots of axles. I showed him pictures of mine.

His advice:

1. remove whatever length of the axle is needed (I'll do it with my 7x12 bandsaw).

2. mic the axle (first remove the rust in the area of the mic)

3. Find a sleeve at least 6 inches that barely slips on with thin coat of grease

4. Drill all the way through one side of the sleeve and out the other (diameter).

5. Tap in a roll pin of appropriate size for the drilled hole (the type of pin with a slit that will contract into the hole

6. Roll the wheelset on the rails to determine if wobble

7. Drill hole other side of sleeve and insert roll pin in same manner

8. roll the trainset again (if slight wobble, just hammer until it runs true)

9. tac weld the sleeve into place and roll test again

10 now weld both sides of the sleeve

(he didn't specify the thickness of the sleeve)

Did my first axle shortening

Mistake cut too short so added a section cut out, welded up with 6011

Probably would have held but added a thick sleeve got at BMG metals

Ran true before the sleeve and after

There most likely miniscule wobble but didn't detect any at all

I don't think I'd do this to a car axle unless I had a death wish

IMG_0399.jpg IMG_0400.jpg IMG_0401.jpg IMG_0402.jpg IMG_0403.jpg IMG_0404.jpg

Reactions: kvt
Looks good. Doubt if you'll ever load it to the point that it would matter but if you should put your splice in the middle of the axle it has the lowest bending load there.

Back