B&S #13 universal grinder wiring

wildcatter

Registered
Registered
Hi guys, I am looking at purchasing a #13 grinder and want to rewire it from 440v to220v. The 1hp motor for sure can be switched and I assume the others can as well. If not please let me know. I am also wondering if there is anything else in the wiring of this machine that would need to be changed? The ser. # is525-13-1509. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Any other motors would likely need changing - pumps, etc. Control wiring is probably low voltage, in which case, there would be a transformer inside somewhere. It's possible that the transformer has more than one input voltage. In that case, you would just need to reconnect it, following the connection diagram on the transformer. If it doesn't have the right input voltage, you would need to replace it with one that has 220 (210 - 240) volts in and the same output voltage as the current one.

@Hawkeye I got the grinder home and you are right, there is a 110v transformer for the control wiring. I will see if I can find out whether or not it has 220 input voltage . Thanks for your help,Dave

Most control transformers I have ran across have 4 input terminals H1, H2, H3, H4
When H1 and H2 and H3 and H4 terminals are shorted, the transformer output becomes 120v nominal across X1 and X2 output terminals

So I took a pic of the transformer . @Ulma Doctor does this look right? I'm no electrician and have no experience with 3ph or transformers so this is all new to me. I should mention that there were 3 wires (from the transformer) that were not connected to anything, tucked up behind the transformer. For some reason I never wrote the tag #s down but one was an x? and two were H? I am wondering if these were to be used for a 220 supply. I am not going to do anything with the wiring myself because I don't understand it well enuf. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_1004.JPG
    IMG_1004.JPG
    285.8 KB · Views: 6
Back