B&S 510 surface grinder not grinding parallel front to back.

This style of grinder has the column moving back and forth, if it is truly like mine. I would then dismantle and check the ways. It sounds like something is on the Z ways causing it to lift. That is an early thing to check. Besides it is a very good thing to inspect the ways (without removing the column) Lots of info can be gotten from doing that. It might not get you to a direct situation, but you need to know their condition in any event.

I've had mine apart and aback together, and I decided that I needed to completely replace the lube system. I odered everything from "the leading company" - and they sent me parts incompatible with my pump and manifold. After that expensive disappointment, I shelved the project. Perhaps this summer...

There is a company in Ohio I was given information on. They carry a wide variety of parts and accessories for many of the older (vintage) machines.
One of my next projects before I grind anything else is to flush out my one shot lubrication system. It is working albeit very slowly but since it sat for many years I need to be sure it’s flowing properly.
I will be checking the ways and rollers to.
Now that I know it is a working machine I will put the time and energy into a full restoration.
“Perhaps this summer “ as well.

Back