B & S no.5 thoughts

Warner & Swasey...

I used to run a W&S very similar to that... it left a lasting impression on me. It was the only lathe I've ever operated that I absolutely hated...

$2500 is way too much money, anyway, in my opinion... I've seen these sell for scrap price because nobody wants them anymore.

Just my opinion...

-Bear

I had thought that you may have meant W & S originally. That is a large machine and I have run them. It looks like it has some tooling, but I was trying to recall the chucking method. Seems that it took different sizes of collet pads which you will need. Do you have enough electrical power to run it?
Yes sir, had to add a panel not that long ago so that I could wire my mill, compressor and lathe in

Warner & Swasey...

I used to run a W&S very similar to that... it left a lasting impression on me. It was the only lathe I've ever operated that I absolutely hated...

$2500 is way too much money, anyway, in my opinion... I've seen these sell for scrap price because nobody wants them anymore.

Just my opinion...

-Bear
Thank you, I appreciate your honest opinion. I’m gonna pass on it. Even if it’s well maintained, they are selling it to add another machine. Most likely because they hate it as well,lol

We used the #5 at the shop that I worked at mainly for spade drilling out 3” diameter holes in 4140 round stock as a rough machine first operation. Machine was a real horse. We also had #2, #3, & #4 W&S turret lathes set up for production with bar feeders.

We used the #5 at the shop that I worked at mainly for spade drilling out 3” diameter holes in 4140 round stock as a rough machine first operation. Machine was a real horse. We also had #2, #3, & #4 W&S turret lathes set up for production with bar feeders.
Sounds like a beast of a machine if you need something like that. Have no clue what I would really need it for

Back