Bad day at the office (Shed)

Mark48

Registered
Registered
Not a happy camper, my recently aquired Hafco AL900b is now non functional due to my ham fistedness, anyone know of a supplier of spares?
See the attached photo, yes the wet spots on the work bench are tears.
20211025_175819.jpg

Yikes... that's an intricate bit of broken cast iron.

Sorry @Mark48, good luck finding a replacement.

Yeah, what they said. I'm at a loss for words on this one. :oops:

I know its not good but it looks like it may be fairly easy to fix. Turn the end that had broke off on the bigger piec. Turn it to a common dimension.
Then that smaller piece make all new out of steel. It would look like a dogbone shape. On the smaller end bore out to the dimension you turned the bigger cast pc. Cut a slit in bore and tap to make a pinch clamp on that end. Bore the big end and done. Might need a keyway idk.
What’s the application of the piece that’s broke?

what part is that? I am trying to see it functionally.
I looked at these 2 threads

And don't recognize where the part is from.

I think it can be brazed. I would tack them together, since there is enough material there to key them.. Then I would grind a v and fully braze them.
The cut out the original tacks and V those areas out and braze them.

work the heat on both sides a little at a time to keep the part from leaning over.

I don't think you will find parts easily. but you never know.

If that's a jackshaft carrier I would just make a new one, shouldn't be super critical and would function the same.

John

Brazing may work but alignment might not be great. Silver solder rods aren't cheap, if the OP has some scrap stock handy it might be easier to build a new one than repair.

If they do decide to braze it back I've found a gas bbq grill good for pre/post heat.

John

Hi thanks to all who have contributed, I'm thinking along the lines of making a new piece from scratch out of steel, I don't have the requisite skills to braze it and I think maybe the loads would be too much for a repair to hold up.
Still watch this space..... may be a while tho

Back