Ball bearing glue

Mike interesting post. Also never knew that Huebsch existed and am impressed that it is made in America.

Do you know how many hours it took you to do the repair vs what Sears quoted?

David

David,

Huebsch is also known as Speed Queen in some parts of the world. Consumer Reports has a review of the Speed Queen. And speedy it is, a regular wash takes only 30 mins whereas the Kenmore front loader takes up to 2 hours.

Sears quoted 1 1/2 hours to remove the tubs and install new ones. With the experience I have now it sounds right. But in my case, I also had to take the tubs apart, figure out how to pull the old bearing and seal out, clean up some rust, research for suppliers and techniques, make up some tools to install the new bearings and seal, recruit a second pair of hands for one step, and ponder things over a cup of coffee (more than one) :)

My time is free and this kind of stuff is fun for me. All told the job ran for 6 days. I waited 4 days for the seal to arrive. It feels like the equivalent of 2 days of actual work was done but I went slow and did not count my hours.

Although it boggles the mind to replace whole assemblies when just a seal and bearing failed, most front loaders are not designed so the bearing can be changed easily and it is not economically viable to do so.

Hope that helps, Mike

Thanks for the extra information Mike.

I am also all for replacing what is broken, not have the machine. I was just wondering if one had the correct tools and parts in hand would it still be cheaper to just replace the bearing and seal at their labour rate.

We are still a plain ol' simple featured top loader.

David

The new ball bearings that I have to install have better seals on both sides. There is considerable drag created by the seals. Plus, the press fit of the bearing on the shaft is a bit too light for my liking.
I want to add some glue between the shaft and inner race as insurance to prevent the race from slipping on the shaft in service.

The glue has to be applied before assembly because of the design. I want something that would not set too quickly so that there is time to assemble the parts before the glue sets. Also, the glue should not be permanent in case the bearings need to be replaced again. Bearing size is 6307.

Any ideas about what glue/sealant/compound to use?
Thanks for reading this far. Mike

Center punch several places on the outer race. The press fit will be tighter but still able to remove if necessary. You can also add blue Loctite to the outer race for insurance.
mike

Back