Ball Turner, Axa

dlane

Active User
Registered
i have this ball turner i'ed like to use on my 10l SB lathe , I have a axa qcth and one holder that can take a 9/16 tool , not sure what size the ball turner mount is off hand but should I mill it down to fit the 9/16 holderimage.jpg what you think ?. Also some knurlers, a sizer type and two pressure types are to big to fit into my toolholders
would it be a prob to mill them to fit ?. Sorry for the terminology
Thank you for any advice

Shars sells a tool holder for AXA type mounts that will take a 5/8" tool bit. It is a 250-101-XL.

The question is how high will your tool bit relative to the spindle? It looks like your tool is meant to be used in a lantern style tool holder. That type is adjustable for angle whereas the AXA QCTP holders are not.

Bob

Thanks bob , checked Shars that holder is out of stock , guess I'll hurry up and wait for them to come in . It will still need to be milled down to 5/8

Why not make a new holder in the size you want? Don't look to hard to make. What I should say is take the part on the ball turner and make that part . Not the aloris tool holder, even tho that could be done too. Hey after looking at it why couldn't you put it in holder at 90 degrees it looks thin enough and it will still work the same , may even make using the crank handle easier.

Last edited:
There is no reason not to change the shank size of a tool, this is not the limiting factor here, if you overpower the tool it will spin the tool post long before the tool shank breaks.

I crashed a tool into some soft jaws in a CNC lathe on Wed. which visibly rotated the Aloris tool post (I have no idea what size designation it is but it has a 5" square body), I hit the jaws with the back side of a boring bar not the cutting side so no tool damage or jaw damage as the spindle was not running. The downside is touching off and resetting 18 different tool offsets.

Mill the material off of the bottom of the shank so as to help getting closer to the center line if this may be a problem, be aware that the material my be quite hard, if so grind it by hand if that is the only choice that you have.
The finished part is the important detail, if you get good parts made with crude and ugly tools the parts are still good, do it any way that works.

I would make a new shank for the ball turner to fit my QCTP holder. McMaster-Carr part number 8892K59 is a 6" long piece of 4140 chrome-moly steel, hardened to C26 and ground to .500 square for $13.38+S&H. C26 is plenty easy to drill for the mounting hole, then just grind/sand the radius.

Turning the radius cutter on it's side would put the axis of the attaching screw perpendicular to the cutting force. That orientation will try to slip the joint between the cutting head and the shank. As pictured, the axis of the screw is parallel to the cutting force. That orientation will not cause the joint to slip, but rather attempt to bend/break the screw. The later is the preferred orientation.

By the way, nice ball turner. Wish I had one.

Back