Band saw problems ... Solved thanks to "Weldingrod-1"

I've not found anything on-line that would work.

I'll have a totally new saw on or about the 8th of May, in any case and there's no room in the shop for two band saws.

I had thought of that, but this saw was well used when I got it, the upper wheel sort of floats in it's position, I had just found (after two years of fighting it) that it will only work with a half inch blade, the narrower blades and the upper wheel don't play well together.

My sons sent me a book, something like "How to get along in a small woodworking shop". Mine is a single bedroom, 3 by 3.5 meters, 9 1/2 by 11 feet. There's a door and a closet on one end, and one big window on the other, the width of the room. It looks out on a back yard with several birch tree clumps a pond and a hill with ivy and trees etc. all in about half an acre. It's surrounded by a fairsized ditch (water storage and a place to keep more water, should the need arise.) It seems Holland has a surplus of water, almost every individual property has a ditch alongside it.

"Convert to a V Belt" never thought of that. The grooves both driving and driven (three speed ranges) ar radiused. I dont remember seeing any adjustment, I'll check...

I'm "promised" a new normal bandsaw, using the same size belts I've accumulated. Should be here inside 4 weeks. ((four weeks ago it was "delivery within three days". No one seems to have any bandsaws with 70 1/2" blades on hand.

Properly welded orange polyurethane belts are crazy strong.

I suggest spending $20 on a temperature controlled soldering iron. Normal soldering temp is too high. 220C is right!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Properly welded orange polyurethane belts are crazy strong.

I suggest spending $20 on a temperature controlled soldering iron. Normal soldering temp is too high. 220C is right!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Weldingrod, you did it.

Temperature controlled soldering iron not available, glass cooktop solved the problem, 6 1/2 heat range was just right, slowly melted the end .020 of both ends,, held them together for a minute or so, trimmed the flash and it's running the saw. Had I known that a month ago I'd have been a lot happier.

Cudos and many thanks.

New saw "promised" on or about May 8th. Now I'll survive.

Been slacking off watching your quota of Pakistani videos I'll bet
Stop watching those and soon you won't be able to fix anything.

Well, I've welded it twice now, got maybe ten minutes of cut time total. I'll try one more time, maybe two, depending. I think I've got all the adjustment out of the motor, not really sure about that, but it was pretty tight when I put it together the last time. I've no idea how much tension I've got on the belt.....

I start a ten month course in Dutch in two weeks, perhaps that'll keep me busy.

Saw came last Thursday. It took considerable assembly, the instructions helped. It took me two days to get it 'squared away, literally, the table wasn't square with the blade...

Although the blade is now square with the fence, it doesn't want to cut square with the table. Good thing I got the saw for curved cutting, not ripping 2 x 4's. One other gripe, if I'd bought it two years or three ago, when it was introduced, i'd have saved half the cost. It will do what I want, that's all I need.

Dutch class starts tomorrow.

Back