Bandsaw Repair Question.

RonRock

Registered
Registered
Looking for thoughts on this repair that I am in process of.

I have a Carolina HV-20bandsaw that needs repair. The shaft on the "freewheeling" wheel has been worn out. So easy enough fix, so it seems.

Simply make a copy of the original a simple plate with a 3/4" shaft poked through a plate and welded on 1 side. Then a few holes for the bolts and a couple for "adjustments" and Bobs your uncle.

Trouble is that the shaft has to be square in at least the opposite direction from where the adjustment bolts are. OEM has 2 one on each side of the shaft.
I'll call them in the horizontal position relating to the shaft. Nothing in the vertical as related to the shaft. Same as my other smaller bandsaw, so I assume that it is typical setup. Simply adjust the tip of the wheel to set the bandsaw blade so that it tracks.

So I'm concerned that after I press fit and weld the shaft it will not be as perfect as the OEM. Basically I'd guess that they have a way to keep the shaft in better square than I do for this one off repair. So I first thought that the better way would be a circle around the shaft with 3 adjustment screws. That seems like it would be a better way to control the shaft. But then I kept thinking about it and now wonder if I would be better to go ahead and do 4 adjusters. 2 in horizontal as OEM and 2 in vertical to compensate for my construction.

Thoughts?

I'm surprised the wheel bearing isn't worn out too. My FIL had a Carolina horizontal saw and it wore out the bushing in the wheel and ended up having to take it in somebody with a bigger lathe bore and bush it.

Turn a shoulder on the shaft, bore the plate to fit the reduced diameter (light press), then weld on the back side.

Since it's a Carolina, they probably used the warp created by welding, selectively tightening the mounting bolts until the blade tracked right.;)

Thanks guys.

The bushings are worn, but not through into the casting. They will also get replaced.

I thought of turning a shoulder on the shaft. The reason I didn't mention that is that I was concerned that the smaller diameter of the pressed through would also weaken the strength of the shaft. Might be wrong in that thought, of course.

Start with an oversize piece welded to shaft then turn it to finished dimensions while squaring it up.

Back