Bandsaw tire replacement trick

porthos

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
don't know why; but i found it impossible to get a new bandsaw tire on my 14 in bandsaw. everything i tried failed. it would peel off somewhere else as i was stretching it on. yes, i did soak it in hot water, didn't work. ok how about C clamps. wouldn't stay on. BINGO. cable ties. used 3 0f them,spread out as i stretched the tire. then. with a screwdriver i pried the last part on. cable ties made it easy

Yep, I did cable ties too, the instructions that came with the tires suggested them.

Cable ties are a good idea.
But it's been my experience that hot water ain't hot enough for urethane wheels. It needs to be boiling, and impossible to hang onto the urethane bare handed to make any difference. Swearing too, the louder and more vulgar the more effective it seems to be.

I have to replace the tires on my Delta 14" and I'm kinda putting it off...

I have to replace the tires on my Delta 14" and I'm kinda putting it off...
It's a little bit of work but there are way worse ways to have to spend your time.
They run so nice and smooth after it's done, especially if your existing tires have chunks missing or anything drastic.
I was being a drama queen for entertainment purposes. It really isn't all that bad.

I've been unable to find tires for my three wheel (Wahl?) (it's a FERN) bandsaw. When the top wheel's tire broke, I wound up gluing the pieces back in place and holding them to the wheel with rubber bands until the glue dried...

Last edited:
I've been unable to find tires for my three wheel (Wahl?) bandsaw. When the top wheel's tire broke, I wound up gluing the pieces back in place and holding them to the wheel with rubber bands until the glue dried...
Try this site, they had an odd size I needed that I couldn't find anywhere else. They even make custom sizes.

Try this site, they had an odd size I needed that I couldn't find anywhere else. They even make custom sizes.

I'm pretty sure that's the company I've ordered from a few times in the past.

Try this guy (Gary) Band Saw Tire Wharehouse on eBay. He sorted me out for correct drive belt for my Delta, new poly belt works great. https://www.ebay.com/str/bandsawtirewarehouse

He told me the belt would be tight, and to put my foot in it and then pull like hell, he stated don't worry you will never break it. I gave it a good pull and had no issue getting it on. The old crappy black rubber belt had stretched a good 2" and was useless.

Back