Barrel Vice

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am making a barrel vice which is really pretty simple. I am at the point where I am ready to bore the 1 1/2" hole for the barrel. I have it chucked up in my 4 jaw.

Barrel Vice 001.JPG

For some unknown reason I have this nagging suspicion that something is not quite right with my set up. Suggestions please.

If you barrel measures 1.5 you should undersize the hole .005-.010. Or put a spacer between your two pieces thenbore to 1.5.

I am following a set of instructions posted by Rod Henrickson who goes by Speerchucker on various forums. He said to make the bore 1 1/2" and then use shims for whatever diameter the barrel is. This way one barrel vise will fit just about anything. The barrels that I will be working with will be in the 1 1/4" range and smaller. But who knows what I might use this for in the future.

There is a 1/8" spacer between the two pieces.

Spearchucker really knows his stuff.
If you are following his instructions then it should be good. You will need some round 1.5'' aluminum stock for making the bushings for individual barrels.
I use the Davidson style aluminum barrel vise that has V notches to accept various sizes of barrels. But it does not have the holding power of one like yours.

Back