Basement shop equipment suggestions needed

katit

Registered
Registered
New member here, I'd love to get some feedback and help me build my "machine shop". It's pretty much ground 0, I need to pick and get everything.
Currently I am in a process of finishing basement and the room on a picture is what I can work with (18x8). Ideally I want to get lathe, mill, belt grinder, and perhaps some bench space in there. So considerations need to be taken when positioning machines so I don't grind next to the lathe. Any suggestions onto best layout welcome.

Also, since it's a basement - I kind of ruled out any "old iron" choices. I am pretty much set on getting PM 1340GT or PM 1236T. I don't know much, but I don't want to "grow out" of whatever I get. This is just a hobby also. I think safe movers will be able to get 1000lb lathe down basement stairs (exterior concrete steps)

Below is Q/A from document posted in this sub-forum:

Stainless, hard alloys, up to 12"
Budget $5-10k
Will be setup in basement
Single phase 220V
There better not be anything wrong with late, but few dents and scratches OK
Will be set on factory stand/mount or I will fab one from metal profile
Lathe will need to be delivered and then moved into my garage.
I will need all of the tooling

What is Your Knowledge & Experience with Lathes?
I had 9x20 HF lathe, did some modifications to it (VFD, stronger toolpost base, etc). I know basics but never did threading for example.
I know theory (mechanical engineering degree and some classes) but it's just for DIY.

Lathe Functions?
In addition to a powered spindle and manual longitudinal and cross feeds, what functions do you have in mind? Do you need to cut threads (inch? metric? both?)? Do you require power feeds (longitudinal? cross?)? Do you require a taper attachment and/or DRO?

I'd love to have very good slow feeds, ability to work with hard/stainless. Metric threads (probably no imperial). DRO would be nice.

Type/Size of Intended Workpieces?
General motorcycle widgets, tooling for working on cars/motorcycles. Would be nice to be able to make high precision parts from hard materials.

Physical Size of Lathe?

See drawing

What Electrical Power is Available?
Single phase 220V residential

Market Conditions in Your Area?
St Louis, MO. Haven't really see anything that caught my eye.

IMG_9786.jpg

Nice that you got 220ac. What is the amperage? Also on your 110 volts, are the circuits rated 15 amp or 20 amp? You could probably get by with all 15-amp plugins, but a couple of 20-amp plugins would be nice.

My basement shop is somewhat larger than your space at about 11' x 25'.
1710129872298.png

As you can see, it is crowded. I also have a woodworking shop in an outbuilding and a blacksmithing forge in another building.

I would suggest that you make a detailed layout of your space to see how anticipated machines, other equipment, and storage fit. As to the size of machines, I would give some serious thought to the size of potential future projects and consider the the size of machines required. If you are planning on building model steam engines, you don't need large machines. In addition to taking up valuable space, they also have more serious power needs. Tooling is more expensive for large machines as well.

You've come to the correct place for advice on how to spend money. Given the choice of the two proposed lathes, I'd vote for the PM 1340GT, but either would be fine. You will need a mill since a lathe and mill work together as a set. Knee mills are generally more capable than bench mills. DROs on both the lathe and mill. One of the 6x4 bandsaws that will need a bit of polishing, bench grinder, roll around tool cabinet(s) (42" US General from H Frt?) You will accumulate tooling, and things like collet chucks, spin indexer, boring head, fixture plate, granite surface plate, welder, height gage, calipers, micrometers, angle blocks, many tool holders, fasteners, metal stock storage, hydraulic press, compressor, excellent lighting, a file drawer, a solid bench vice ..... on & on all of which need a convenient home (along with several 100 other things.)

Make a scale drawing of your space, make scale machines etc. out of card stock. Trial the possible layouts. Snap a photo of each as you go.

My basement shop is somewhat larger than your space at about 11' x 25'.
View attachment 481966
As you can see, it is crowded. I also have a woodworking shop in an outbuilding and a blacksmithing forge in another building.

I would suggest that you make a detailed layout of your space to see how anticipated machines, other equipment, and storage fit. As to the size of machines, I would give some serious thought to the size of potential future projects and consider the the size of machines required. If you are planning on building model steam engines, you don't need large machines. In addition to taking up valuable space, they also have more serious power needs. Tooling is more expensive for large machines as well.
Keep weight down .
I have a lot ads on equipment in basement very low cost or free.
My wife want me down size my lathe getting older. last November I sold my South Bend and purchased a mini lathe. She and I lifted on the work bench. In a basement you could put a hand cart and go up the stairs. FYI My new lathe is 120 pounds. Take few parts off down to under 100 pounds.

When your in 20s or 30s of even 40s going down is great now in 70s or 80's time go uphill with a 2,000 pound tool of in some case take apart a 6,000 pound lathe not fun.

Dave

I also have a basement shop. Like RJ's it's a bit larger. It is also furnished with all "old iron". Some machines date from the early 1900's. The majority are from the 1940's to the 1980's with a couple as new as 2010. In my case the surface grinder is near the lathe. It is partitioned off, has a dust collector and an exhaust fan. Attached is an older layout. It's missing the Baileigh cold saw, which is next to the shaper, another grinder by the table saw, and the Black Diamond drill grinder next to the tool cabinet by the stairs.

Attachments

• Shop Layout.docx
    70.4 KB · Views: 32
I don't know how useful this will be given you're not really a beginner but there'll probably be some good information for you for setting up a shop:

Quinn has a clear, friendly and good humoured presentation style, so even the stuff you already know shouldn't be too boring. ;)

Worth looking at her other videos too (her Lathe Skills and Mill Skills playlists are good).

I was very content in my older basement shop before things exploded here . Climate controlled , minimal machines for getting the job done , clean and organized and room to work . What the heck happened I don't know other than growing out of it . If I had my way , I would definately go back to the way it was . It was about the size of the OP's place .

Welcome to HM.
And as a fellow "Cellar Dweller" I welcome you to the underworld. All is possible down here in the basement, just a little more rigging and planning is required...
A few pointers.
Keep some clearance to the left of the lathe head, incase you need to work on long bar stock, fed through the spindle.
Milling machines fit well into a corner.
If you have open joists, take advantage of the space between them it's great for storage.

Here are some threads of how I set up my shop:

Nice that you got 220ac. What is the amperage? Also on your 110 volts, are the circuits rated 15 amp or 20 amp? You could probably get by with all 15-amp plugins, but a couple of 20-amp plugins would be nice.

Right now it's one 220ac where pictured (on right side) it's 8ga currently under 30Amp breaker. But could be 40 if needed. I don't think I will need that much.

And for 110 - I have outlets around, all from same circuit but 20 amp. Again, I don't think I will run something that will need more.

Thank you ALL for comments, reading everything.

Again, reiterating need/problem with moving equipment downstairs through doors, down concrete steps. For lathe I was thinking taking off as much as I can, then building metal "cage" around so safe movers can get it down in vertical (headstock down) position.

@Eddyde

Here is a deal with basement. Right now - it's NOT finished. I am in process of finishing, electrical and all framing pretty much ready, soo will be inspecting and drywalling, so it's a last call :)

Actual "man" part is bigger than I pictured. See "close with door" wall that's not there yet. Whole room is probably 20ft from top to bottom if you imagine it extending down. It's L-shaped. Issue is - I have to have office desk where I will work once in a while somewhere there. Thats why I thought about dividing shop. Main concern any dirty or dusty operations and how to keep everything clean.

Any suggestions on how to have grinding section for sharpening etc and keep it dust free?

Good suggestion on ceiling. Maybe I should reconsider drywalling it.

Main idea - this area will be FINISHED and livable space. Not "basement". So if I live joists open (which I do in other areas of basement) - they will be painted matte black.

Back