Basement shop equipment suggestions needed

For the record the lathes I took to the basement shop are a 13" x 56" Sheldon, and a 10" x 60" Seneca Falls. The stairs are reinforced with a center stringer (3 total) and supports every 3 feet from the stringers to the floor. The supports are tied together horizontally to make shelves for wood stock.

The piano-mover suggestion is a good one, but recognize that the lathe will weigh more than most pianos of similar length. A 6-7-foot grand piano will weigh about half of the larger lathe. That makes a big difference. Three professional movers can move my 6-foot grand and lift it over steps even when it’s strapped to a piano board and rolling on dollies. But they won’t be able to lift a 1400-pound lathe. They’ll need a hard rigging point at the top of the stairs. If those are outside stairs, a truck hitch can provide that rigging point.

If you remove the tailstock, saddle, and apron, it will be a lot lighter but the weight will be even more concentrated in the head end. This can mean it can’t be lifted from the bed, even right up by the headstock.

Expecting there to be weight stability on the tail legs with these items removed or even by the headstock can lead to disaster. Ask me how I know. :)

IMG_6305-dsqz.JPG

Rick “disaster lurks” Denney

@katit I moved a 15X60 Leblond lathe out of a basement a few years ago. wood stairs. Rhight angle turn at the top to get out. So size doesn't matter - Old iron can be done by competent people. To get it down 40 years ago, we took off the headstock and slid it down on plywood.

Pictures here:

@katit I moved a 15X60 Leblond lathe out of a basement a few years ago. wood stairs. Rhight angle turn at the top to get out. So size doesn't matter - Old iron can be done by competent people. To get it down 40 years ago, we took off the headstock and slid it down on plywood.

Pictures here:

I admire you guys, seriously!! Obviously, proof that anything can be done

Back