Basic Collet Info

Good to hear you got it off!

It does look like a collet fitting on the headstock. I have the tools to make measurements. Any way to figure out what kind by measuring?

I have been keeping my eyes open for a set of ER-40 collets. One thing I don't understand is I seem to see sets of 23 (24) and sets of 15. Do some collets cover a wider range than others? Does the smaller set leave gaps? The minimum and maximum are the same for both sets.

Brian

Well, this spindle has a straight 5/8" bore with the collet taper diameter of 11/16ths". Some propietary do-dad. I miraculously found an Edelstaal set of 5 on Ebay today. Can't afford it but felt that I may not see another set for a long while.

You guys really helped me out, and I really apperciate that. I would have had a hard time figuring that out solo.
And still so much to read..... Love it!

Now to figure out what collets for the dividing head....

This has become the thread for newbies wanting to know all about collets!

If your spindle has a Morse Taper #5 you can get an adapter from Grizzly.com for about $41.00.

P4026001 COLLET ADAPTER

Gary

Holly &*^( went on the website tonight and they say this p/n is $95.00 !!! The good point is they do say they have it in stock now! I guess they figured out we are all building our own collet closer's and this part is the only hiccup in the deal! Take Care Bob in Oregon

I just bought the grizzly 5mt to 5c adaptor a few weeks ago for $98. I also bought their drawbar for about $40.

According to the article on your lathe--it has a 1"x16tpi spindle thread on the head spindle and the same on the tail spindle--the tail spindle has an internal mt1 taper. It said the headstock spindle was 9/16" bore and had a steep taper for unknown collet. *did you get any collets with your lathe or a drawbar to pull the collets in? also did you get a 1"x16tpi threaded collet nose piece? your lathe sure looks nice in the pictures. if you can get a manual on your lathe it should have all the information you need--maybe some of the members have a model like yours that can help you figure everything out. --Dave:))

According to the article on your lathe--it has a 1"x16tpi spindle thread on the head spindle and the same on the tail spindle--the tail spindle has an internal mt1 taper. It said the headstock spindle was 9/16" bore and had a steep taper for unknown collet. *did you get any collets with your lathe or a drawbar to pull the collets in? also did you get a 1"x16tpi threaded collet nose piece? your lathe sure looks nice in the pictures. if you can get a manual on your lathe it should have all the information you need--maybe some of the members have a model like yours that can help you figure everything out. --Dave:))

Thanks, Dave... A few months down the road and a few more things learned.
I did get the collet set on ebay and then miraculously a collet capture nut came up a month or so later. Bought them both.

Still in the process of setting up the shop. Still need to wire up some lighting, but have all the receptical wiring finished. 35' of workbench..... I think I am in heaven, although I had to fight to reclaim the basement.... threw a lot of crap out.

Just tell the kids that the rest of their stuff is at the curb.... lol.

Have 35 years of tools, hardware, and what have you to sort through and organize somehow...

Then I may even be able to think about learning how to use the lathe....

Always on the lookout for something new to spend my non existant cash on too... Champagne tastes on a beer budget... Story of my life, I think.

Back