Basic Tooling

I still have the 1/8" parallels that I started with, and have not gotten any others. You may also consider a set of calipers (the Harbor Freight specials work just fine, I think I have 3 pairs). You will also need something to locate your part with. Choices are

1) Edge finder (lots of choices there, a simple mechanical edgefinder is what I use)
2) Wiggler
3) Dial Test indicator
4) A piece of paper and a light touch.

As far as the sets of collets, I will be the voice of dissent, I say go for the set. Mostly you will find you are using a few sizes 90% of the time, but it sucks to have a 3/16" tool and no collet to hold it.

I'm also going to assume you already have _safety glasses_, right?

From the list on Kevin's' Page:

safety glasses (this is an absolute requirement!)- already own

mill vise - Got a Line on one I like
collets
end mills - Check came with mill - a set of 20 End Mills both 2 & 4 flute
drill chuck- Check came with mill -
drill bits - already own
digital caliper - already own
machinists square - already own
clamping kit - Got a Line on one I like
edge finder
parallels
dial indicator- already own
dial test indicator
magnetic indicator holders- already own
scribes- already own
layout blue
metal rule - already own
protractor - already own
machinists square - already own
files - already own - probably need more
chip brushes

shop apron- already own

Add to List: (some stuff that came with the mill
Fly Cutter
V-blocks
Angle Plate

So there are a few things I still need to acquire but I've got time.

I'll have to check out Cook's they are in my back yard.

The best place to get chip brushes and oil brushes is Harbor Freight. They have 25 packs of each for ridiculous low prices, and they work great. I think I saw the 25 pack of chip brushes on sale last week for ~$10.

I made my own cutting oil can from a Johnson's Paste Wax can and a piece of copper tubing (the black one on the left). Cheap and easy.

oilcans.jpg

GG

oilcans.jpg

You can get a set of Chinese r8 collects from enco that go from 1/8-3/4 by eighths for around 25 bucks (don't remember exactly) well worth it though. Covers the common sizes and mine are reasonably accurate. And I agree...toe clamp set is just as useful if not more so than a vise. Just my two cents.

I'm NEW - there I've said it. (and I'm proud of it).
This next set of skills I'm about to learn seem like they are going to be a lot of fun.

I've read a bunch of posts here about Tooling what to get and what not.

I've got some basic questions.

I have NO plans of just rushing out and buying a lot of STUFF - mostly because I can't afford it.
So each and every purchase has to have use value and meaning.

Choice Parameters - I've got a Jet Model 15 essentially an RF -25 clone so let's keep within it's working envelope.

Vise - Seems like a 4" Basic Good Quality Non-Swivel Vise is a good choice.
I'm thinking this one.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=328-0155&PMPXNO=24730497

Next on the list a basic set of parallels.
These have me a little confused.
1/8- 3/16 - 1/4" thick whats the real difference and why one Vs the other.

Next the machine I have (R8 Collet) came with a set of 2 & 4 flute 3/16 thru 3/4" x 16ths TIN Coated.
I'm considering simply buying individual R8 collets in 1/4 - 3/8 - 1/2 inch as I suspect they will have the most usage.
Or should I go for a Set? If so why?

I'm interested in comments on all this.

In addition to the suggestions you have already seen posted, I would recommend some R8 End Mill Holders rather than using collets for the end mills, End mill holders have allen set screws to hold the end mill tight and will not let it spin in a tough cut, If your end mill ever turns in the collet, the collet is usually ruined == Good luck and enjoy all the things you will learn -- Jack

Optivisors, like that facial growth on my avitar. :watchingyou:

I've updated my "basic tooling" list with a few additional items, and turned it into a spreadsheet with "hi/lo" pricing. If you want the TLDR: Expect to spend somewhere between $760 to $2,770 for basic tooling, depending upon the quality of tooling you buy. Of course, these are pretty rough estimates. Also, these factors should be considered:

• If you are getting into machining, chances are you already have some of the items on the list
  • With careful shopping (sales, used items, etc.) you can often get better quality tooling at lower costs
  • The list does not include some common items like lubricants, taps and dies, and other items

With these caveats in mind, I think the list does help to answer the question: If I get into home machining, how much can I expect to spend to get started?

Here is the link to the updated list:

https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/machining---lathes-mills-etc/advice-from-a-newbie

Could be just me but I can't open the spreadsheet.

Back