Basic Wiring Question

speedre9

Active User
Registered
I'm not sure how to do this.
In this wiring diagram I have added, where would I add a pilot light. How would it be wired and, what are the electrical ratings?.
I have no real way of knowing if it's on or off once I enclose it in my control box, so I thought I'd add a pilot light. Comments and diagram please.

Attachments

• PILOT LIGHT DETAILS.pdf
    21.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited by a moderator:
Add the pilot light between the L and N terminals on your power supply. When power to the power supply is on, the pilot will be lit. As for a light, I would get a neon pilot lamp assembly from Radio Shack, like item #272-712. It comes in its own mount and has wire leads attached. I've got a box with power supply for my garage door opener controls out in the garage with two of those neon lights in it. They've been burning for the most part 24/7 for fifteen years now.

I would use a 120V pilot lamp wired across the L and N terminals of the power supply.

A neon light across the AC as described above will tell you that it is plugged in and power is on. Alternatively, you can wire an LED across the DC output terminals. That tells you that DC power is being made by the supply. All you need is an LED (again, Radio Shack is a good source) and a resistor in series with the LED. The resistor is required to limit the current flowing through the LED. LED's are polarized - they'll only work with the current flowing in one direction. You won't hurt it if you hook it up backwards, it just won't light. The resistor value is chosen to produce the current required by the LED. For example if the LED needs 20 ma and the voltage is 48 - then the R value (formula is R=E/I) = 2.4K ohms. Doesn't have to be perfect.

O.K. Thanks guys, that about covers both my desires for lights, lamps and L.E.D.'s. KUDOS

Back