Battery Box for the son's ute

malmac

Registered
Registered
Well spent another day working on a custom battery box for my son's new ute.

Gave me a chance to clear the dust off the small pan brake. It worked really well for this job.

I opted to build a sort of chassis for the battery to be secured to, as the 2mm aluminium box has no strength to deal with a heavy battery.
Still got some more work to do on that with some tie down rods and wing nuts.

anyway there you have it.

Mal

MAL_0928.jpg

Hi Mal, If this is going to hold a wet lead-acid battery I would coat the inside of the box with something. Sulfuric acid is hard on aluminum I think
-Mark

Hi Mal, If this is going to hold a wet lead-acid battery I would coat the inside of the box with something. Sulfuric acid is hard on aluminum I think
-Mark

Mark

The battery is a sealed AGM battery. However all of that aside you do make a good point.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Mal

Since its a sealed battery don't worry about a coating.

Sealed AGM batteries leak too. I have cleaned up after a few of them.
They are still vented and acid can still get out the vent.

Sealed AGM batteries leak too. I have cleaned up after a few of them.
They are still vented and acid can still get out the vent.

Sort of makes the word "sealed" seem a bit questionable. However it is something to pay attention to.
Thanks for your input. I am planning to have breather/ventilation holes in the case, but I was just thinking heat rather than nasty fumes.

Mal

Not being familiar with "AGM" batteries, I can't be unequivical, but. . . Any battery, even dry cell flashlight cells, will be vented. It may not be obvious, maybe even a soft plug, but there must be some way to relieve internal pressure. And despite what the marketing gurus have to say, any wet or "gel" cell will have a vent. Of course, I trust the marketing types about as far as I can spit in a headwind. The vent may be concealed, but there will be one, somewhere.

A while back, I built an electric (tri)bicycle, using 4X4 winch motors and an automotive starting battery. I am familiar, intimately, with wet cells so opted to use one even though they were not the most effective efficient. If there is a visible vent tube of any sort, a plastic tube from that to a point below the base of the case will serve you well. Sort of like the vent tube on a motorcycle.

Further, a lining will pay off in the long term. I used a sheet of 1/16" rubber gasket material. A bit of "over engineering" but what I had on hand. There should be some sort of insulation between the battery case and the enclosure. I used contact cement to affix the rubber. A spray on type should work just as well.

Also, the application may not involve such, but if there are multiple batteries, each one should be insulated from the others. Only a sliver of milk jug plastic will serve. Acid proof is better, but use what you got.

AGM batteries are in our wheelhouse so we will share...

First, they are acid starved meaning they have a sponge like material that holds the acid and there is no liquid so most can be mounted in any position

We have some that are very high performance that cannot be so always check.

They also are called VRLA or Valve Regulated Lead Acid.

They are sealed and contain the gasses produced when the chemical magic happens during charge and discharge.

The "VALVE" is a pressure relief valve that vents excessive pressure

If over charged excess pressure builds up and valve opens.

Once gas exits it cannot be put back so very important to correctly charge them

Float charge current cannot exceed 0.1 % of labeled 8 hour rated capacity so a 100 amp hour battery only needs .1 amp float.

Smaller ones less.

Easier to set charge voltage to spec, read manufacturer sheet as generic term is 2.25volts per cell meaning 13.5 for a 12 volt unit.

PROPER charging and ventineng should not occur.

Current Dodge chargers have AGM battery in trunk with vent hose going out.

Also charge above 14 volts so proper battery selection a must.
I always look for the valves or vent port on the battery to check for residue.

This indicates a vent event.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Not being familiar with "AGM" batteries, I can't be unequivical, but. . . Any battery, even dry cell flashlight cells, will be vented. It may not be obvious, maybe even a soft plug, but there must be some way to relieve internal pressure. And despite what the marketing gurus have to say, any wet or "gel" cell will have a vent. Of course, I trust the marketing types about as far as I can spit in a headwind. The vent may be concealed, but there will be one, somewhere.

A while back, I built an electric (tri)bicycle, using 4X4 winch motors and an automotive starting battery. I am familiar, intimately, with wet cells so opted to use one even though they were not the most effective efficient. If there is a visible vent tube of any sort, a plastic tube from that to a point below the base of the case will serve you well. Sort of like the vent tube on a motorcycle.

Further, a lining will pay off in the long term. I used a sheet of 1/16" rubber gasket material. A bit of "over engineering" but what I had on hand. There should be some sort of insulation between the battery case and the enclosure. I used contact cement to affix the rubber. A spray on type should work just as well.

Also, the application may not involve such, but if there are multiple batteries, each one should be insulated from the others. Only a sliver of milk jug plastic will serve. Acid proof is better, but use what you got.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I actually have a camper which slides on to my ute/truck and I want to improve the mounting system for that battery in the near future, so I appreciate your experience.

In this current case I am putting a 6mm heavy duty rubber under the battery case and a 6mm rubber pad between the battery top and the plate to hold the battery in place.

The battery has an inch clearance in all directions from the actual aluminium case. I am giving consideration to how to provide a suitable surface inside the case.

Mal

AGM batteries are in our wheelhouse so we will share...

First, they are acid starved meaning they have a sponge like material that holds the acid and there is no liquid so most can be mounted in any position

We have some that are very high performance that cannot be so always check.

They also are called VRLA or Valve Regulated Lead Acid.

They are sealed and contain the gasses produced when the chemical magic happens during charge and discharge.

The "VALVE" is a pressure relief valve that vents excessive pressure

If over charged excess pressure builds up and valve opens.

Once gas exits it cannot be put back so very important to correctly charge them

Float charge current cannot exceed 0.1 % of labeled 8 hour rated capacity so a 100 amp hour battery only needs .1 amp float.

Smaller ones less.

Easier to set charge voltage to spec, read manufacturer sheet as generic term is 2.25volts per cell meaning 13.5 for a 12 volt unit.

PROPER charging and ventineng should not occur.

Current Dodge chargers have AGM battery in trunk with vent hose going out.

Also charge above 14 volts so proper battery selection a must.
I always look for the valves or vent port on the battery to check for residue.

This indicates a vent event.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thank you for your inside knowledge.
I will discuss this with my son.

Cheers

Mal

Back