Battery Box for the son's ute

Also of note...the sometimes get pregnant so consider room for expansion.

Square D made a UPS back in the day that had charge voltage set too high and would eat batteries once a year.

The batteries "just fit" the housing and they would expand and form fit, very difficult to remove.

Once we figured out proper adjustment they lasted many years

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Also of note...the sometimes get pregnant so consider room for expansion.

Square D made a UPS back in the day that had charge voltage set too high and would eat batteries once a year.

The batteries "just fit" the housing and they would expand and form fit, very difficult to remove.

Once we figured out proper adjustment they lasted many years

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yes you are right and I am not to quibble.

My son thinks he will never need a larger battery - this one is 100 amps.
Well he will want a bigger one later or maybe even two. Maybe I will be called on to make another box at that time, maybe not.
I have given him an inch clearance all round, so even if this battery distorts its walls it will be unlikely to fill that void without destroying the box.

I do appreciate your input....... as you would also know, not much use arguing with the young until they get old enough that you both agree without argument.

Mal

When I am interested in other's projects I like to see the updates as the project progresses.

So here is a couple of photos from today.

I certainly found small holes in the top of battery which I suspect are the vent holes if needed.
So I cut a hole in the metal tie down strap so none of the holes are covered.

MalMAL_0929.jpgMAL_0934.jpg

I am giving consideration to how to provide a suitable surface inside the case.

If you are looking for custom fit, you could wrap the battery in a garbage bag, and then add just a little expanding poly-urethane foam to the sides. It will fill and expand. Just do a little dot on each side before adding any more.

You can use the low-expanding foam (for around windows) to be sure it's not deforming the battery.

You could also cover both sides with plastic to have a custom fit but only a little painful to remove custom "margin" of foam.
A temporary spacer would give a little play in the final liner.

Experiment before committing!
-brino

In regard to a custom fit, I have machined up some plastic spacers.
These fit near the base of the battery and should restrain it from sliding.
While the battery box does not accommodate a battery of any significantly larger size, a smaller battery could have over sized spacers made to facilitate fit.

Mal

Attachments

• MAL_0936.jpg
    MAL_0936.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 9
OK, there you have it. Project completed.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I hope you can see where I listened.

Your help is much appreciated.

Mal

MAL_0939.jpg

Back