Battling rust - Helpful hints.

I keep my machines in a garage where temperature changes cause condensation. I cover the machines with a bucket of Damp Rid under the cover then use a digital lamp timer to run small fans, 15 minutes on, 1/2hr off. Moving air is a major help in stopping condensation. Also use a cosmolene like spray on ways and other bare metal.

Here might be a interesting discovery. I've got several older cans of Chrome Polish from estate sale pick ups and such.
I pasted some on the base of the swivel vise for the BP. I had coated it with oil and covered it with a towel but it still
rusted. So I let the polish dry and then rubbed it off with a fine scotch brite. Decent results with a minimum of
elbow grease. I was looking at the cans trying to figure out what's in them and nothing was listed. I got a bit whoosey
from the fumes so I was wondering what it might me... Need to go hit the chuck on the lathes and the hand wheels on
the Logan next.

P1080306r.jpg

I've been using plain old Minwax finishing wax on the metal surfaces for a long time. Granted, oil will slowly take off the wax, but I simply reapply it a couple of times per year. Not a big deal. Ways are coated in way oil, but the table saw top, mill table, drill press table and column, lathe chucks, and the unpainted areas of the 'table' on the Keller saw all get an occasional wax coating. I rub it on, coating the surface completely, then leave it sit for a while to allow the solvents to evaporate. Then I go back and wipe off the excess. I only do this with the garage door open, as exposure to the solvent fumes can have adverse effects on your nervous system.

I read somewhere that a good wax coating can be made from bees wax and mineral oil. Applied the same way as paste wax or chrome polish. Pour some mineral oil into a pan and warm it gently on the stove. Using a double boiler might not be a bad idea here to keep from overheating things. Then add bees wax in small pieces totalling 1/4 to 1/3 the volume of the oil. Mix thoroughly and pour into a can that you can seal up and allow it to cool. Use the same was as any paste wax.

Yeah, I've started using the minwax on everything. This past week I did every surface on the BP with it.
Gonna have to watch now that the garage is closed up. Later this week it might warm up a bit.
I have this hope of one day getting ahead of the rust.

Back