Battling rust - Helpful hints.

+1 about the slab. Just went out and moved some rubber backed carpet squares I have in front of a bench. Dampness underneath.
And guess which way the lot slopes...
I should have epoxied it before we moved in. Trying to paint it now would require some serious shuffling - shop is packed.
Shuffle to one side, paint, let dry, shuffle to other side - repeat. Sounds like a heck of a recipe.

All the walls and the ceiling are insulated. But how much you want to bet that there is no poly or any type of barrier.
I've got a 30" fan mounted up in one corner but I guess I'll have to consider a dehumidifier. Gads I hate the cost of running those.
A buddy whose in the HVAC biz mentioned putting in a heat pump system if he runs across a good used one.
My other shops here in TN were a basement, garage, garage, and then this garage. The other two were attached though.

And acids or corrosives I keep out in the back shed.

Pulled out my mill vise yesterday, it's been sitting in a milk crate oiled and wrapped in wax paper. Didn't work, took a hour or so to clean it up.
I have (3) cans of this on hand, been in my stock for years, I finally tried it on the vise. Wow - it does smell up a place.
norust.jpg I guess I'll start coating everything that's susceptible. Especially tools I don't use frequently. What a PITA.

Thanks,
_Dan

norust.jpg

Middle.road - An old trick to prevent rust on tools in confined spaces such as storage cupboards, big toolboxes, and other compartment areas, is to leave an old-style filament globe on, in the compartment, full time.
The heat from the filament keeps the temperature up above dew point and totally eliminates rust on tools (provided you keep them lightly oiled, of course).
The only cure for your shop is some kind of modest heating on at all times when the air temperature drops below the dew point.

Better yet are desk top coffee cup warmers from your corner drug store. They're 25 W resistance heaters and don't burn out like light bulbs. I've had one in my welding rod/paint refrigerator and two in my gun safe for more than ten years each.

Kevin

+1 about the slab. Just went out and moved some rubber backed carpet squares I have in front of a bench. Dampness underneath.
And guess which way the lot slopes...
I should have epoxied it before we moved in. Trying to paint it now would require some serious shuffling - shop is packed.
Shuffle to one side, paint, let dry, shuffle to other side - repeat. Sounds like a heck of a recipe.

All the walls and the ceiling are insulated. But how much you want to bet that there is no poly or any type of barrier.
I've got a 30" fan mounted up in one corner but I guess I'll have to consider a dehumidifier. Gads I hate the cost of running those.
A buddy whose in the HVAC biz mentioned putting in a heat pump system if he runs across a good used one.
My other shops here in TN were a basement, garage, garage, and then this garage. The other two were attached though.

And acids or corrosives I keep out in the back shed.

Pulled out my mill vise yesterday, it's been sitting in a milk crate oiled and wrapped in wax paper. Didn't work, took a hour or so to clean it up.
I have (3) cans of this on hand, been in my stock for years, I finally tried it on the vise. Wow - it does smell up a place.
View attachment 81798 I guess I'll start coating everything that's susceptible. Especially tools I don't use frequently. What a PITA.

Thanks,
_Dan

---------------------------------

Dan

I endorse the recommendation to get a dehumidifier. My shop is 1000 sq ft, well insulated, on a concrete floor that does have a plastic moisture barrier, air conditioned with an exterior drain. Even with these properties the shop is still humid but I don't have a rust problem.
I recently added a SPT SD-31E dehumidifier sold by Amazon (about $200) and am very happy with it. I am surprised by how much water it collects---about 1/2 gallon per 10 hr day when set to hold at 40% humidity.

Jerry in San Antonio

I have to second the fan someone stated earlier. the previous owner of my house built a rather shoddy 36X36 steel building that I am still working out of for the next few years. With the combination of a leaking ceiling, floors that weep moisture when it rains, no insulation and being a few hundred yards from a large lake I fight rust continually. The biggest change in rust prevention I have made is using CorrosionX on everything and a 36" fan that runs continuously. I have found that the fan moving air keeps large heat sinks like machines from collecting moisture like a soda can and a layer of rust prevention solution gives me the little extra I need.

Humidity is a problem for my shop.
Bare metal details on the machinists / mechanics vises and the milling machine get a film of oil regularly.
Bare metal details on the woodworking equipment get a coat of furniture paste wax during the summer and. An oil film during the winter when I store them for the winter season.
Tools in the cabinets get a regular film of oil if practical. Also, I keep desicant bags with the tools and I've made wood boxes for the micrometers.

It isn't as much work as it sounds. Hope my comments help you out.

With good weather comes the old foe. *GADS* Not the worst thing in the world, actually it's pretty dang trivial, but
frustrating though. I put ISO32 on the mill back in June. I should have broke out the Slide.
Had some spare time today and wanted to putz around on the mill. Oh well there is always tomorrow.

P1080276.JPG P1080275.JPG

Another vote for a dehumidifier . That was the ONLY thing that stopped the rusting here in S Florida. It's the temp changes and the metal tools/machines retaining cold/heat that causes moisture to condense on them. Sometimes in the morning, I could see the individual dots of rust on parts where water had formed.

Thats what I'll have to bite the bullet and get. Just trying to avoid the extra electrical costs for running it.
I must have seen (6) or (8) at estate sales this season and didn't grab one.
I had been coating stuff with Slide, but it smells so bad.
During the first warm spell a couple of weeks back I kept the garage closed.
It was like 10° or 15° cooler in the shop than outside. Doesn't appear to have help.
Then we had two days straight of rain over Christmas...

Back