Bearing Fit For A Lathe Spindle

markknx

Active User
Registered
Hi guys, I have a Grizzly 10x22 lathe and am in the prcess of re placing the spindle bearings. while removing the spindle I found that the bearings seemed tobe a press fit. Therear bear boss was 1.772 and the front was even tighter at 1.7725. the 32009 bearings ordered spec. at 1.7716 and are right at that. the question is should these bearing have a press fit? seems to me they should be a close slide to very light drag to allow for proper preload setting. If so since my lathe is down, what should I tell the shop I take the spindle to I want for a finshed OD on the bosses? .0005- .001 seems like it would just need some emery to polish and a lathe to spin it. Any one know a shop around Portage/ Valpo IN. Mark

Those are about as close as you can get it. Don't mess with the fits! They are correct. Heat the front bearing with a hair dryer and place a light film of oil on the spindle shaft and assemble. The rear bearing should be a "snug" fit, not as tight as the front bearing.

4gsr, thank you for the info. The job is now stalled do to one of the new bearings arived bad. So now I have to wait on vendor to send replacement.

Be sure you get bearings with P5 precision rating.

The non precision bearing is same as a wheel bearing you can buy at any auto supply store and is not the best thing for a lathe application.

Non precision 32009 bearings are about $25 per bearing, maybe less. P5 would be $100, maybe less.

I replaced the spindle bearings in my bench top lathe last year and went all through what would be the best bearing for this application. That is my frame of reference.

Bearing just got here races are in the freezer with the spindle. while the bearing are in the house to warm. the heater in the garage is aimed at the lathe. once the races are cold I will put some heat to their pockets am slip them in. then I will ward the bearing and slip them on the cold spindle. Mark

Bearing just got here races are in the freezer with the spindle. while the bearing are in the house to warm. the heater in the garage is aimed at the lathe. once the races are cold I will put some heat to their pockets am slip them in. then I will ward the bearing and slip them on the cold spindle. Mark

You might be able to use the old race to push the new race in place straight and give a sacrificial surface in case you need to tap it a bit.

Yes that is kinda what I did I tapped the in with a bass hammer and punch till they where flush then used the old race. This not only makes it easier to tap them in it also make easier to feel when they seat
Mark :))

Please don't use brass on a bearing!

Use as piece of cold rolled mild steel bar. You are not going to hurt a bearing doing so.

Save your brass for those things that are not hard like a bearing.

4gsr thanks for the tip. I never thought about that but it makes sense.

During a break in ofthe bearing. I picked up a ringing noise coming from the motor, tracked it to the fan area. when I took the fan cover off the impeller fell out. it is made of plastic with a D shaped hole that fits the shaft that has a flat on one side. well the D was now a round hole and the matterial around the hole was brittle. not enough meat around the hole to drill for a bushing. I'm thinking because there is no set screw to hold it it had gotten loose and when I hit 2400 rpm(a speed I never use) it must have just heated up as it wasslipping and that made theplasticso britle. New fan on order. Mark

Back
Top Bottom