Bearing Fit For A Lathe Spindle

It is a good time also to check any other moving parts along the drive train. With my bearing change I found the bearings that were in the pulley setup that holds the belts were shot, ran gritty by hand and seized up when I was taking it apart. I changed those finding the problem but it was time to change them even if the "Felt" ok since I had it apart.

All those bearings all seemed to be in good shape. and they are so easy to get at I am not that worried Also right now cash is tight. One thing I do want to address is end play in the a change gear. thinking of a brass washer/shim to take up end play that creates an anoying rattle in the change gear trane. Mark

....One thing I do want to address is end play in the a change gear. thinking of a brass washer/shim to take up end play that creates an anoying rattle in the change gear trane. Mark

You could face off the bushing the gear rides on a little. Unless it is harden.

All those bearings all seemed to be in good shape. and they are so easy to get at I am not that worried Also right now cash is tight. One thing I do want to address is end play in the a change gear. thinking of a brass washer/shim to take up end play that creates an anoying rattle in the change gear trane. Mark

First thing to do is carefully check the stock positions of all the washers/spacers that are supposed to be there. This also was an issue on mine. Looking at the manual carefully showed the arrangements of the spacers on one of the change gear shafts was wrong. Put back to stock as intended design was fine. I would be sure of this before adapting or cutting anything to make it fit better.

Back