Bearing Recomendation

I would like to build a grinding wheel balancer....
My concern is a free turning bearing that won't break the bank.

A polished steel shaft, and a plastic bearing, with a little compressed air, will make a good low-friction support.
You don't need vibration resistance, or strength, just a way to put a bit of clean air between the solid parts.
Commercial gizmos use porous journals, it seems. I'd think two plastic bushings with air forced into the gap between
would float a shaft and modest size grinding wheel.

I have ordered 8 skateboard bearings $8 and 5 shoulder bolts $8. I will knock out the seals and and try with oil. I am planning on the shaft riding on top of the bearings. I don't understand how to do the plastic bearings with air. Sorry, but I would need a sketch or picture to see how to make.
This started from setting up a good grinder to do Wife's wood turning tools. I plan on removing plastic bushings and making some aluminum adapters. Will true the wheels and drill holes in adapters to balance. When I get a surface grinder, I will get the fancy adapters with sliding weights.
Anyway, this has got to be better then just taking a wheel out the box and turning it on. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!!! Charles

Please excuse the crude drawing but i hope you get the idea. This is what spumco was suggesting above as it is a very good way of doing what you wish to accomplish so i hope it helps. Screenshot_20190722-092244_Samsung Notes.jpg

Back