Beating Brexit?

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
it goes something like ..
"Hey Graham - you know all that machine stuff you were going to get for your shop when it's built"?
Yeah - why do you ask?
"Consider getting it now, even if you just have to leave the crates unopened for a while.
Deal or no deal, after Dec 31st, there is likely to be import tariffs to pay that are not there right now."

Oh .. Er oops!
Said "machine stuff" = MT3 or MT4 Mill Drill with autofeed, 200A MIG/TIG, Lincoln Electric Viking autodark helmet, maybe some other stuff that has motors..

Really? !! Am I now to press the go button on a machinery-oriented self-aimed Santa Claus style spree where I don't even get to open the presents until shop is built?
(Info: Shop project already started)!
I think I already know what you folk are gonna say!
Decisions .. decisions.. :confused 3:

Last edited:
I've been following the Brexit stuff because I swap lies with a couple of guys there. What a scrambled mess that has been. Your 20% added value tax is bad enough let alone adding more import taxes. Doesn't the EU already have import taxes on Chinese stuff? (I'm assuming your Mill drill will be from China.) Good to pickout your own Xmas presents! Don't forget all the accessories (vice, boring head & bars, drill chuck, tooling, measuring stuff, parallels, fly cutter, tap follower, arm to mount the dial test indicator to the spindle, set of screw machine drills, toolmakers vice, DRO and all the stuff I've forgotten.)

Financials aside, given that the French are likely going to be spectacularly awkward to spite us, and our own government is so murderously incompetent they can't organise the proverbial in a brewery, it's looking pretty certain that there's going to be the mother of all gridlocks getting even basic stuff like food in and out, let alone machine tools.

It'll settle down eventually, but I'm braced for a train wreck of biblical proportions. Then there's the not unlikely scenario of the pound tanking again. I'd be getting that order in...

I've been following the Brexit stuff because I swap lies with a couple of guys there. What a scrambled mess that has been. Your 20% added value tax is bad enough let alone adding more import taxes. Doesn't the EU already have import taxes on Chinese stuff? (I'm assuming your Mill drill will be from China.) Good to pickout your own Xmas presents! Don't forget all the accessories (vice, boring head & bars, drill chuck, tooling, measuring stuff, parallels, fly cutter, tap follower, arm to mount the dial test indicator to the spindle, set of screw machine drills, toolmakers vice, DRO and all the stuff I've forgotten.)
You are right about scrambled mess. Completely independent of taking sides, the arrangement was that there was a approx 500 million population set of trading nations in Europe, which provided around 60% of UK trade. This now has to be replaced by UK trade with the rest of the world becoming expanded, plus whatever new trade volume with Europe establishes.

One could move goods freely between them with zero border checks and no duty to pay. The nation narrowly voted to undo this. We may yet have the nation attempt to "re-do" this, but for the present, it very much looks like one side pitched in a condition they knew the other side could never agree to. There are signs of tensions from Scotland, which voted 62% to remain in the EU. The timing has been exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic. I am betting that if this course of history turns out to be a bust - perhaps a very bad way to go, the incumbents, whichever they be, will probably blame the COVID-19.

Thank you for the list of "essential extras". I am very much minded to do the deed right now, at least in the substantial pieces of kit.

Last edited:
Would it make more sense at this point to consider buying used equipment in the UK rather than new from the EU. Even
if you do, it would make sense to buy sooner rather than later to get out ahead of the inevitable demand.

With no potential downside to waiting, we here would still recommend buying now rather than later. Given the likelihood of significant cost increases, why are you even asking? Think of the savings as ROI.

"Yes, honey, but look how much I saved."

Financials aside, given that the French are likely going to be spectacularly awkward to spite us, and our own government is so murderously incompetent they can't organise the proverbial in a brewery, it's looking pretty certain that there's going to be the mother of all gridlocks getting even basic stuff like food in and out, let alone machine tools.

It'll settle down eventually, but I'm braced for a train wreck of biblical proportions. Then there's the not unlikely scenario of the pound tanking again. I'd be getting that order in...
Your mention of the relative value of £ pound currency is probably what is pushing me over the edge. We do not have an exclusive corner on the on the characteristic of governments to be murderously incompetent. We need a lower setting the of the bar than the relative ease by which one might arrange a successful event at a brewery!

I would much rather have chosen at my leisure. Import arrangements are such that it makes no sense to try for (say) Precision Matthews. I did try that already. The full route was to have one exported to USA PM dealer, who then arranges a coast-to-coast transportation to a East Coast port, and export by ship to UK. There it stops until import duty is paid, and then happens a further shipping by carrier across UK to final destination. I already had enough hassle importing $65 worth of electronics from USA. By the time it came through my door, it came to $133.53

Most of the good machine tool manufacturers in Europe are from Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, France, and some in Italy. I scratch my head to find some UK manufacturers, but I think they have all gone. UK turned into a service sector based trickle down economy in a process that started about 4 decades ago. I can't actually think of a UK manufacturer of lathes and mill-drills! Much the same as for car manufacture. UK plants are foreign owned.

Re: Buying used equipment? I already have a bunch of that. The old South Bends are pretty nice machines, or will be when I'm done. I aspired to a decent mill drill with auto-feed. Not too big, and I thought I would try for new kit if possible. I was not really in a hurry. I have quite enough of current stuff to keep me busy. Now, it makes sense to buy the major stuff now, even if it all stays in the Christmas wrapping for a time.

I admit I usually only get well into the Christmas season mood, and start feeling the good stuff, somewhat later in the month.

Last edited:
With no potential downside to waiting, we here would still recommend buying now rather than later. Given the likelihood of significant cost increases, why are you even asking? Think of the savings as ROI.

"Yes, honey, but look how much I saved."
Yep - between the posting from @Lo-Fi, and yours, the Lincoln Viking auto-dark helmet has been purchased, and the welder is next.:)

I suppose some of the waiting was so that I could have the place to put it become reality first. As things are, It has to stay in the box for a bit.
[Edit: I am working my way up through the list].

Last edited:
I really hope the £ doesn't tank! I have an inheritance coming. If the £ goes down it means less tools!

Back