Becker #2 Mill

byrdman

Registered
Registered
Hello

I've gotten the bug. Yesterday I bought a Becker #2 mill and honestly don't know anything about what I'm doing. They guy I got it from didn't know much about it not even what taper he though it was a Brown taper. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. I've tried to upload some photos if they didn't come through I'll tray again. Thanks.

Hi and welcome. But sorry, it looks modified. I would have run, not walk away from it. And please be careful with that exposed belting. Keep your body away from all that.

If you're just getting into this, you might not know about Vintage Machinery.

Table is a bit dinged up, but you can just slap a good vise on it. You should check the runout of the spindle with a dial indicator, see if fundamentally the thing is sound.

How is that motor powered? Presumably single phase?

yes single phase and from what pictures I found online it hasn't been modified except for the motor mount. I runs really smooth and I didn't have indicator with me but it "looks" good on run out. I will check when I have it up and running.

First, welcome to the group!

Second, dissimilar to some of my compatriots above........THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!
That is a piece of history. I am very jealous!

Besides the Vintage Machinery page (http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=2106, and poke around at the various tabs) there is also lathes.co.uk (http://www.lathes.co.uk/becker/) with multiple pages of history.

Wow where to start.......
  1. you'll likely have to learn how to account for slop (or "backlash") in the feed screws...basically try to turn in only one direction when you need the feed screw dials to indicate actual table movement. All us owners of old equipment need to know how.
  2. You should either measure all the pulleys and figure out spindle speed based on motor RPM for each belt position, or cheat and pickup a cheap IR tachometer (search ebay)
  3. HSS tooling is all you'll need; a machine that age likely cannot meet all the latest fancy high-speeds needed for carbide.
  4. That vertical support reminds me of a mammoth tusk from the Flintstones....
  5. you probably should go over it real closely and find (and clean out) all oil locations before you spin it up; also figure what oil to use
  6. I would recommend spinning it by hand and get familiar with all controls before putting power to it.
  7. check the cords for cracking and the machine for good grounds BEFORE you plug it in!
okay that's it for now, but I'm sure I got more......let me sleep on it.....

-brino

Last edited:
Looks cool,would fit right in in my shop with all the other cobbled up farmers tools as someone one told me I own.learn how to run her,be careful,and above all have fun.

Second, dissimilar to my compatriots above........THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!

Oh, I like the mill alright. I probably would have bought it too :)

It is in good shape for a centenarian. Certainly usable, with the usual caveats for a mill half its age (might have trouble with precision, surface finish - hey just like most of us 50-year-olds).

Thanks guys for all the input. I thought it was cool too obviously. Next is a lathe, I think I've found one a leblond 13 trainer. I've been watching Vintage Machinery.org youtube restoring one and I like the way it was engineered. But if anybody knows of a good one for sale (relative to price) I'd be interested. Thanks again.

I agree, great piece of history. Probably a good idea to make some type of shroud for that spindle pulley, or you could end up scalped. Brino gave a lot of good advice above. I have a similar vintage Cincinnati, love the old stuff. Mike

Back