Beginner Drill Chuck Question

JPower6210

Registered
Registered
Hi All- I would like to purchase a new chuck for my benchtop mill- I am still deciding between an ebay Albrecht or a new import- I see that a lot of the Albrechts have a straight shank- is it better to have a chuck with an R8 to JT adapter over a straight shank in a collet? I feel like I am missing something simple here- Thanks!

JP

Straight shank is usually preferred as it can be changed easier than a dedicated R-8, just loosen the collet no need to remove it. Also it gives you more vertical clearance to work with as the shank is shorter to withdraw from the quill than a collet. If you base your "system" on say ½", you can have all your main tools that size so changes are much faster.

I have lots of chucks, both key types and keyless types. Most of them are high quality and in excellent condition. I find myself choosing between a key or keyless type by the kind of work I will be doing. For heavy duty, rough work, I nearly always choose a key type, usually a Jacobs ball bearing super chuck. For lighter work, I usually choose a keyless chuck, usually an Albrecht, Rohm, or a Spanish made SPI. Keyless chucks do work just fine for heavier work, but are sometimes more difficult to loosen the drill after the heavy cut. Ball bearing key chucks loosen easily, but there is also a key involved. For average one off work, I just grab the first chuck I find that will hold the drill and fit the machine. Often, the chuck is chosen strictly for what kind of shank it has. For the mill, I usually prefer straight shanks, for the reason given by Eddyde above. I do have R8 shank chucks, but usually only reach for them if all the operations to be done on the part can be easily done in one setup. Straight shanks are a lot faster on the mill, especially when there are a lot of different tasks that must be done, and even more so if the space is tight. I try to avoid moving the knee or quill up and down large amounts for the various jobs, and for changing out the tooling. With a little thought, and planning ahead, it all goes a lot faster and with a lot less effort.

Be careful about buying used chucks (and everything else) on eBay. A lot of sellers dump their junk there, where buyers cannot test before purchasing. If it turns out to be a bad tool, it can be difficult (and a PITA) to be made whole again, not to mention the wasted time spent. It is useful to ask highly specific questions to the seller. No answer, or no answer that gives you confidence you can hold him to it, then no purchase. Life is too short to be spent chasing liars, scams, and scammers.

Last edited:
I abandoned the chuck (key'd) with the R8 shank, when I got an Albrecht with a 1/2" shank. I find changing tools to be so much easier, I've even tapped (tiny taps, 2-56 to 5-40) reversing out of the hole, and it holds the tap without unscrewing. I have an R8 collet (1/2") that stays on the shank. So, I change the collet each time I change the tool. I guess it could have an R8 shank, and would work as well.

Thanks all- makes sense. Definitely not having to raise the head on my machine far enough to get an R8 adapter out of the spindle is an advantage.

JP

I have both straight shank and R8. There is a little height difference between the two, but not much. About 1/2" if I was going to guess. Actually have an R8 Albrecht in my mill as I write this and one with a 1/2" shank sitting right there too. I can measure tomorrow to see how much difference there is. I have about 7 Albrecht chucks and will be getting rid of some of them. Also, in regards to eBay, I have had very good luck buying items on there. Not once have I had an issue. I have had issues buying stuff on machinery auctions that are online. In fact, the R8 Albrecht chuck I have in my mill is one I bought on machinery auction sight unseen. It was a beatuiful chuck, but it appears that someone "line bored" the jaws to make them slightly rounded (NOT a spun drill bit), so they are about worthless. Pretty much got screwed on that one. I prefer eBay if possible and sellers that provide a lot of clear pictures and with a return policy. Little off track there...sorry.

I have both straight shank and R8. There is a little height difference between the two, but not much. About 1/2" if I was going to guess.
The actual grip length of an R8 collet is only a little more than an inch. I cut my straight shanks down to around an inch and a quarter, anything beyond that isn't really doing anything.

The actual grip length of an R8 collet is only a little more than an inch. I cut my straight shanks down to around an inch and a quarter, anything beyond that isn't really doing anything.

Right. I agree with that. I was referencing the distance from the bottom of the mill spindle to the bottom of the chuck. Turns out there is less difference than I thought.

20181221_105427.jpg

Turns out there is less difference than I thought.
The big difference is in how much headroom it takes to get the tooling in and out to change to something different. A straight shank about an inch and a quarter long takes about 3 inches less vertical space, and is also skinnier. When you have a bunch of setup stuff or portions of the part itself in the way, it can make the difference between success and failure of the setup. Mainly, it is more an issue of how far you want to move the table or quill up and down to get the job done. A large quill stickout also works against a rigid setup, and against accuracy.

Yeah, I understand all of that very well, thank you. You missed my point on how far the chuck actually extends down.
You shouldn't be doing any milling operations with a drill chuck anyhow.

20181221_141122.jpg

Back