[How-To] Beginner Question: How do I Turn a 5/8" radius on the Lathe?

robotwizard

Registered
Registered
I'm going to take a wild guess here, should I use a turning tool with a round insert that's 5/8" in diameter, or is there another way?

Well, if you had what's called a ball turning tool you could adjust it to produce a concave radius
Otherwise yes, a round insert would work although you may have quite a bit of chatter- use slow speed and plenty of cutting fluid
With soft metals like aluminum you might be able to do it by swinging the compound; I wouldn't try it with steel though

Last edited:
I'm going to take a wild guess here, should I use a turning tool with a round insert that's 5/8" in diameter, or is there another way?

It depends . . .

The title says 5/8" radius and the OP says 5/8" diameter. Please clarify.
What kind of lathe are you using? Is it stout enough to handle a large round insert/cutter?
A lot of cutting edge in the cut means a lot of cutting force and potential damage/chatter on the workpiece.
Is the desired feature on the face of the workpiece or on the OD? or ID?

The simple answer is to get a radius turning tool.

Suggested reading:

It depends . . .

The title says 5/8" radius and the OP says 5/8" diameter. Please clarify.
What kind of lathe are you using? Is it stout enough to handle a large round insert/cutter?
A lot of cutting edge in the cut means a lot of cutting force and potential damage/chatter on the workpiece.
Is the desired feature on the face of the workpiece or on the OD? or ID?

The simple answer is to get a radius turning tool.

Suggested reading:

The stock is stainless steel. It is a pulley for a capstan winch that will use 5/8" diameter rope. The inside corners need to be rounded as is tradition, so it is on the OD. The lathe is a PM 11 x 27 . It's not a super precision cut, but needs to be smooth when finished. If that has to be done later with emery cloth so be it.

The stock is stainless steel. It is a pulley for a capstan winch that will use 5/8" diameter rope. The inside corners need to be rounded as is tradition, so it is on the OD. The lathe is a PM 11 x 27 . It's not a super precision cut, but needs to be smooth when finished. If that has to be done later with emery cloth so be it.
OK
I think I would grind two 3/8" HSS blanks. One with the left hand 5/16 R and the other with the right hand 5/16 R.

Cut as much material (rough in the radii) as you can with more conventionally ground tool bits, then try to finish the radii with the 5/16 R grinds.
Some people might try a 5/8 diameter carbide router bit, in a special holder, such as:

Let us know what worked for you.

The more I think about it, my gut sense is that a 5/16 R cutter fully engaged (90°) in the cut is going to be a heck of a lot for that lathe = crazy chatter. If you could get 5/8" diameter round inserts, you could grind a flat on it (remove some of the cutting edge circumference) and rotate the insert so only 10°-15° are in the cut. Then rotate the insert 10°-15° and cut that portion. Repeat until you achieve you full R. YMMV

I recently had to turn an elliptical radius to make a sheeve for a genoa lead block on my sailboat. First I used Sketchup to make a drawing of the sheeve. I then drew lines the same width as my parting tool. Next I measured the depth of each line from centerline to the edge of the radius. Sketchup will measure to .0001. Using these measurements I make cuts with the parting tool about .005 short of the dimension. This left a bunch of steps that needed to be smoothed out to complete the radius. I ground 3/8" HSS to roughly the shape of the radius. I used this tool bit and a half round file to smooth out the steps.

ellipse 1x2.jpg

You guys are going to ask how did I grind that elliptical radius on 3/8 HSS. I flattened the ellipse to 3/8" and carefully took out the steps using different parts of the edge.

The size and type of the pulley can make a big difference. A one inch od pulley and a six inch od is like night and day. Same as 303 stainless versus 316.

Back