Beginners question on drilling

Yeah Im sure I have been to completion on projects that where “wrong” but got there anyway.

I've never done that. Just sayn'... :cool:
... Later learned grade 8 is strong but not really “hard” Quick google search seems to show a 35 - 45 hardness depending on the. Many alloys?....

I've seen that callout before, and I suspect that you'll find that those numbers, or at least some portion of them, show up within the same bolt. I've never measured it in any way (I learn this from the mechanical/repair trade, removing broken ones, breaking unbroken ones, making tools and parts out of said bolts...), but I do know that the hardness varies throughout any "graded" bolt. Hardware grade anyhow. Like I said, some specialized or proprietary ones can throw you a curveball, but 90 percent or more of all of them you ever see will fit the mold. I think it's a mechanical hardening from the forming processes, drawing, head stamping, thread rolling, etc, because the areas that I believe get "worked" more during forming, that's where they seem to be the hardest. But yeah, hardness is relative, and without even trying, you'll find lots of materials "harder" than grade 8 bolts.

It might not apply to this project, (or maybe it might), but even the small allen bolts, (socket head cap screws...) the ubiquitous black coated ones (and almost all of them), which are notoriously as hard as a coffin nail, those actually fall in a quite similar hardness range, but something like 20 percent higher tensile strength. You can drill and cut those with high speed steel too, when you're making special fasteners to make your projects fancy.

Grade 8 are strong, not hard, there I a difference.

If drilling with machine pressure, drill press or lathe, no need to step drill, just apply pressure and go.

Drilling with portable drill the operator and power tool combined may not be able to properly drive the drill so stepping needed.

We find this often.

In the BP we drop to back gear to get good torque at slow speed and blast sometimes 1/2 hole without a pilot (single pulley VFD came that way).

Portable drill it just spins in the dent.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

So as I started a small project
A Chicago Screw to addapt my current Tool Post Stud to be used with the new QCTP
So I have a 1/2” bolt grade 8 which I annealed.
I started with a basic set of drill bits Bosch started with 3/16, 1/4, 5/16 and finally 11/32
Everything went fine until I got to the 11/32 bit , screamed like a banshee , so I figure old bit I will run and buy a new one. I come back and the new bit cuts worse?
Im a bit stumped I have my spindle speed right at 1000 rpm
At the moment. All other bits cut fine to a depth of 2-1/2”

Am I missing something ?
My Drill Dr crapped out a while back and only grinder is at work so I did not bother trying to put a new edge on.
Slow the speed down to the area of 400. At the speed your running all you're doing is overheating the bit and dulling the cutting edge. I would start with a 1/4" bit then to the 11/32" with lubricant. When you use that many bits to get to the desired hole all that's happening is your knocking the cutting leading edge off the bits making them useless. Drilling holes takes time. Watch the material being removed. When the speed and down pressure are correct the bit cuts like butter. look for the curling as the material is being drilled.

Yes dont compromise when buying your house and make sure you have ar least a 10,000 sqft shop on site to fit all your stuff!
Anyhow got it done and will try tapping tomorrow
Lesson learned, tools need to be sharp and many more
10,000 sq. Ft shop.
Got it. I’ll tell my wife what I have to have :)

10,000 sq. Ft shop.
Got it. I’ll tell my wife what I have to have :)
You think my wife would feel bad for me , in a 12x16 shed , no heat and running a Gen to make small parts for a old lathe…..
Got it done though and so much better with the new tool post and sharp tooling45BE6B5E-B1E8-44BB-8FB2-C94F57ED03D4.jpeg

You think my wife would feel bad for me , in a 12x16 shed , no heat and running a Gen to make small parts for a old lathe…..
Got it done though and so much better with the new tool post and sharp toolingView attachment 429493
There is always someone with a bigger, better, newer......
You have something to shoot for.

Back