Belt for Atlas Lathe

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
It is time to replace the headstock belt on my lathe. I am wondering what type of belt to get - a conventional solid V belt or one with ribs like this:

1544369401170.png

They say the ribbed belts run smoother and quieter on small diameter sheaves. Smooth and quiet are good things. Any thoughts?

I've seen a lot of people say that link belts are no good, however, I decided to try one out for myself, and I have found it VERY convenient. I have had to remove it a few times, and wow, it's so nice to not have to remove the countershaft or headstock. It runs very quietly as well.

I've been thinking of a link belt. I know that Robert (this forum's moderator) does not care for them, and I do respect his opinion. Also, I have an aluminum counter-shaft pulley, and I worry that the link belt may wear the aluminum more rapidly than a conventional belt.

Another vote for the link belt!

(from mobile)

I agree with Robert, the link belts are convenient but do have some drawbacks. The ribbed (or cogged) belts are really only needed when one of the pulleys is very small and the belt needs to turn a very tight corner- less friction and more power delivered to the load.
I like the Timken/Carlisle super blue ribbon belts, made in USA. I'm using a cogged one on my bandsaw, and a conventional one on my Atlas 12".
mark

Last edited:
I won't run link belts on any of my three Atlas machines. Others opinions are different and I respect that, but I believe there is excessive wear caused by the links on the Zamak pulleys. So I don't run them.

-frank

I'm not going to re-start the link belt argument. The Atlas motor belt would be a good candidate for a ribbed belt as the smaller groove on the motor pulley is pretty small. But I don't think it's necessary for the spindle belt. However, aside from probably being a little more expensive, at least from the same vendor, it won't hurt anything.

I have both types. My table saw has had a link belt for almost 25 years and has given no trouble. The pulleys
are steel so wear isn't an issue. My lathe and drill press have Continental brand ribbed belts and they are very
flexible and smooth running (and were pretty cheap if I remember right).

I do believe that a good quality belt 'lube' on the link belt (any belt for that matter) solve the soft metal pulley situation.
Gotta love zinc based pulleys -not.

Back