Belt sander no motor

Thanks everyone. Im glad it was a good sander to fix up. Im going to see if i can get a 110 washer or dryer motor and see how it goes. Once i know it will work good i am going to make that 3rd pulley. What is the 3rd pulley for? For bigger belts?

So is the support arm to help with heavier sanding? I still didnt see much about the 3rd pulley towards the back. Only spot i saw was when they had you move the pulley up under the table.

The third pulley helps the belt to track better during normal operation. The support arm was originally designed so you could sand on the back side of the platen. I could never see where I would ever need that. It just happens to provide more support to the platen to keep the platen vertical and to keep it from bending. The sander will work just fine without that 3rd wheel. But I would definitely make a support arm to support the platen. I have tried grinding tool bits with and without the support arm supporting the platen. Works better with the extra support that the support arm provides.

You mean with the support arm against the back by the platen or just up in its non use state?

I don't understand your question.

The support arm is positioned and secured against the back of the platen to keep
the platen, which is flimsy, from moving while in use.

IMG_1246.jpeg

Ok now i see it. From the book it looks like it has a pulley on the support arm and was running on the belt.

Back