[4]

BELT SANDER REPAIR

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I have no idea of the correct place to post this repair of my ENCO 6 x 48" Belt Sander. When it arrived, nearly every part was dented & the main brace was broken into two parts. I was already aware that replacement parts from Grizzly can take 6 months. I really did not care to find out what hassle a warrantee claim with ENCO might be. The broken part, to my way of thinking is inferior. Instead, I made my own. The only tools needed were a band saw, rotary table & mill. 20150802 002.jpg 20151104 004.jpg 20160315 001.jpg 20160826 034.jpg 20160826 039.jpg 20160902 008.jpg

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
:cheer::cheer::cheer:

You and I think alike. Well done.

Moper361

Registered
Nice repair and your part is far superior to the nasty cast bracket supplied be assured yours won't break in a hurry .

brino

Active User
Easier to replace the part than deal with warranty returns.
Great upgrade to a new tool........too bad it was required!
-brino

Dredb

Registered
Nice work Brockwood.

kvt

Active User
Nice and a lot more sturdy than what came one it.

BROCKWOOD

On to the 2nd weakest link. Pics for now - very frustrated. 1st day not walking on a cane in 4 months - still injections & physical therapy are needed. So, I assess what the order I need to pick up where I left off should be & snap the tool rest while truing up a scraper. Aghhhhhhhh. Well, it won't be any different from the main support when I replace it: Stronger better & possibly even prettier! Might even have to add a dedicated circuit breaker - incase something else wedges up under it ;-)

20180516 01.jpg 20180516 02.jpg

brino

Active User
Sorry for the trouble your having to go thru (medical and otherwise!).

Looks like the machine was build from uncooked pasta!

-brino

BROCKWOOD

It sure feels good to be able to start recovering from back surgery & getting out in the shop again! Sander repairs are coming along ... finally.

20181017 01.jpg

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I LIKE the table for the belt. Now I'll have to make one for my Craftsman.

BROCKWOOD

Thanks MrWhoopee. The fence / table is adjustable from a +10 to a -60 degrees. It's too oily to add paint. Trying to just get it done during a 60hr work week is good enough for now. Sticking to a theme of all the shop made replacement parts get painted red. I kept the belt adjustability from horizontal to vertical when making the main brace.

20181020 01.jpg

Finished for now.

MrWhoopee

It's too oily to add paint.
Paint is for people who can't produce or appreciate good machine work.

edit: As a master-carpenter friend put it: "Putty and paint what the carpenter ain't"

Last edited:

BROCKWOOD

Well MrWhoopee, I appreciate your perspective. Yet, I am glad I took the table / fence down for paint. See, I kept the belt angle adjustable just as designed - only I used real steel for the main support & grade 8 bolts for assembly. Well, the belt carriage began to slip & lose it's angle. As designed (regardless of whose bolts were used), angle changes for the belt tilt required removing the disk table, disk & loosen off the belt pulley just to get at the bolt heads. This pinch bolt arrangement was replaced with T nuts on the back side that travel in the semi circle angle adjustment holes & studs. Now I can change the angle of the belt without taking anything apart!

20181104 01.jpg

Besides, the red paint actually draws attention away from the crappy sander & onto the parts I made. Ready to Rock again!

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Looks good @BROCKWOOD, I usually paint my stuff also.
Good to hear you are recovering well from back surgery. Hang in there.

MrWhoopee

Well MrWhoopee, I appreciate your perspective. Yet, I am glad I took the table / fence down for paint.
Besides, the red paint actually draws attention away from the crappy sander & onto the parts I made. Ready to Rock again!
I was actually being facetious, which doesn't always translate well in print. You have to do something to prevent rust. The red does indeed draw attention to those parts and is a nice contrast to the usual tool gray. Nice work all around.

Downwindtracker2

Active User
Registered
I'm not too impressed with the table on mine. Aluminum , a single support and very flimsy angle bracket.

BROCKWOOD

You may be up for modifications / improvements on yours too Downwindtracker2.

Downwindtracker2

Active User
Registered
Yes I just might. I first have to reach a certain stage of frustration, then I break down and fix it. I have looked at it more than a few times, but haven't seen any quick and easy. I have used it a fair bit to flatten the soles on wood working planes, one plane, one belt. Stanley and their green castings. Oddly enough, I saw a Delta on CL. I could almost afford., but the BusyBee, Canadian for Grizzly, was handier with it's exposed end roller. I worked for while in my youth in a machine shop, it was shocking how many parts were "machined" on a Delta 6x48/12"

BROCKWOOD

My Stanley planes are so old that I just use them as is to keep value. Let's see pics of your belt sander. I too am not impressed with the aluminum table for the disk sander. Come to think of it, the aluminum table is supposed to be usable on the belt as well. Nope, never even considered trying it. Too flimsy, as you stated. I rarely use the disk sander portion & suspect this is because of that aluminum table. How was this done, built or arranged on the old Delta of your youth Downwindtracker2?

Last edited:

Mitch Alsup

Registered
Easier to replace the part than deal with warranty returns.
Great upgrade to a new tool........too bad it was required!
-brino
Absolutely correct.
Probably stiffer and more durable as well.

Downwindtracker2

Active User
Registered
The only difference between mine and your belt sander, is that mine is painted dark green. It's a '90 something? Taiwanese. The Delta had proper trunions on both cast iron tables. Before the plant shut down, about 6 years ago, they bought a Chinese made Delta for the maintenance shop. I didn't get to use it much and it went too high at the auction. The machine shop Delta had more issues with tracking then my BusyBee.

Sometimes there is a germ of a good idea, just the execution is wanting.

My Stanley planes are mostly newer, Canadian Sweetharts from the 30s are preferred,, nothing of value except as users. I found a made in USA #4 from 1949, a great year personally , that I tuned by hand. It was after that one, I used the belt sander.

[6]
[5] [7]